QLD Sewer and roof water pipes?

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by bne123, 22nd Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bne123

bne123 Active Member

Interested in a property but not sure whether to be concerned about the pipes running through the back of the property. The property is the one with the black dot.

• The red line is the sewer line which is reticulation main, diameter 150mm, owned by Queensland Urban Utilities
    • The short green line is roof water pipe, 150mm, owner is private? Not even sure what roof water pipe is, could somebody explain to me please?

Many thanks!

Attached Files:

2. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Don't most sewage pipes run at the back of the building? Usually isn't there some sort of easement?

3. bne123

bne123 Active Member

This is in BCC and not all properties have sewer pipes going through, a lot of them go across the street. Would sewer lines be considered easements?

4. willister

Not too sure about Brisbane, sorry. I live in Vic, at my parents's old place the neighbour decided to put concrete over the easement and build a metal garage on top, building right to the back and side boundary to maximise space. When he did the application back then (we're talking circa early 90s) all the council did was remind him that he was building over an easement and that if council or other authorities required that they would need to dig/jack hammer his concrete at his cost. Lax back then but I'm not sure if thats still the case now?

5. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

yes, the authorities assets will be protected by legislation. you can search for it if you're interested.

the sewer design depends on many things and will be typically designed to maximise the best use of the proposed lots providing a connection option.

sometimes it runs across the rear of the lots, sometimes in the road reserve - sometimes not.

the green lines are probably inter-allotment storm-water drainage and the sketch indicates the main pipeline is running across the lots behind yours (black dot)

those lots will probably be burdened by a drainage easement to which every lot connecting , benefits.

the stubs indicate where you connect (approximately)

the lot probably falls to the rear (?)

Stoffo likes this.
  6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

It's where the water goes when it rains.
    Rain falls on the roof, flows along the guttering, down the downpipe and goes into the storm water drainage system (paved area's are often connected to the same).
    Back in the day the stormwater pipe would often come out at the road kerb

bmc likes this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Connect storm water to sewer for convenience lol No don't do that it's illegal. I heard the water authority pumps smoke through the sewer mains and if they see smoke coming out of someone's gutters they're nabbed.

Last edited: 22nd Sep, 2021
    Marg4000 and Stoffo like this.
  8. bne123

bne123 Active Member

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Would having roof water pipes across the property be a negative? How come some properties have them and some don’t?

I think I read that sewer pipes smaller than 300mm are not considered registered easements so this would be ‘unregistered easement’?

Not sure if I am overthinking and doesn’t affect the price of the property..

9. willister

IMHO I don't think it impacts on property price given a lot of properties have this easement.

Stoffo likes this.
  10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

From your diagrams the main stormwater pipe runs along your back fence on your neighbour’s property. Mostly storm water drains to the road kerb, except in cases where the slope of the land does not allow this, hence the drainage shown.

The sewer runs along inside your back fence but should not affect you.

Storm water pipes on your land belong to you and can be moved if you want. So can sewerage pipes, they are your responsibility (blockages etc) until they connect with the main.

Stoffo likes this.