Sewage pipe - does it affect property value?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Durian Grey, 12th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Durian Grey

Durian Grey Member

Hey guys,

I'm about to build a house and land package. On the land diagram, it shows that there is an easement for storm water and a sewage line (without manhole). I am aware that I cannot build any structure on it as it could be potentially dug up. I am, however, concerned about the sewage line affecting the value of my land and hence my property. This property is in a new estate. Is it the common that each row of back to back properties will have a sewer pipe and therefore essentially half of homes in an estate would have the sewer pipe and the other half would be of benefit?

2. korando1234

korando1234 Well-Known Member

it can be something that some buyers do shy away from, but others not.

but the way i see it, you might by at a minor discount, and sell at a minor discount.. not going to make a big difference if it doesn't bother you and you're not planning to build over that area of the property (which by the way many people do anyway)

3. StunningWill

StunningWill Well-Known Member

I don't like sewer or storm water. Don't like the idea of people's shoot flowing under my joint or on my land whether IP or OO. They tend to sit on the market longer. Some have man holes or pipes coming out as vent holes etc. I'm just very picky.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It totally depends on where they are located & the size.

A sewer branch servicing several properties across the back (near the fencline) will make little difference, it's a necessity & will be on one side of the fence or the other. You may need to be aware of it if you're considering a granny flat

A stormwater line, likewise may be beneficial if you need to drain to it ie the fall of the block is towards the pipe. If it's a major stormwater pipe, culvert or channel then it becomes a hindrance or a risk.

5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

also depends if every other property has a sewer pipe through it,

if developing, it can be a huge issue, but Im assuming a HL package, wont be developed for decades?

6. PJ1

PJ1 Well-Known Member

I recently bought and renovated a house that was built over a sewer easement.
    It did add some cost to project as the pipe had to be accurately located by a plumber and engineering drawings completed which required piers on either side of the pipe to reduce pressure on the pipe.
    These were poured with the new concrete slab so little extra concrete was required.
    If you know upfront and the numbers work out it is not a huge issue.

7. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Are the pipes parallel to the back fence? How far are they away from the fence?

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You should ask your solicitor to explain the easement. It is an encumbrance on the title that limits land use. Its a question of how much. Sometimes the lots are made bigger v's the neighbour without. But you may be restricted in use above the easement

9. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Depends what your purchasing.

If buying a home in a land estate with new homes everywhere, and it doesn't impact the build design...I don't think it matters too much.

If buying a development site - can matter a lot, impact design/feasibilities, timing, build/s73 costs. Can make or break a deal easily too.