QLD Sewage - BCC

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Mill, 2nd Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mill

Mill Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Looking at a place with a sewage access "manhole" in the nearly middle of the block with the pipe almost running directly through the middle of the block. The "manhole" is directly in the middle of the carport. The attached pictures should help visualize this (lot marked with black *).

I'm not up to speed with development rules but I can't see a 405m2 block allowing multiple dwellings. At most I would remove the existing house and re-build in the very long distance future.

If I do NOT have any development plans for this property is there anything I should be aware of? Any deal breakers?

All I can think of is the deck footings may be too close to the manhole. My mate told me the clearance is 600mm, is it a case of calling Queensland Urban Utilities to confirm this?

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Any plans to put in a pool?

3. Mill

Mill Well-Known Member

@wylie No plans to put a pool in

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

For me, I'd probably pass on this if it is for an IP because one day you will want to sell it and someone who might want to put in a pool or renovate at the back might pass it by.

You are asking the question, and so will the next buyer.

Antoni0 likes this.
  5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

On the flip side you'll be able to achieve the same rent with or without sewer.... but selling may be harder and less than comparibles. So buy well and rent well. ... then sell slightly less

6. Mill

Mill Well-Known Member

What if the plan is to never sell haha.

All good points worth considering. I wonder if this would effect a valuer for future equity pulls...

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The only downside would be every now and again when the line is blocked--The BCC maintenance teams will need access to that manhole ..
    Plumbing and drainage | Brisbane City Council

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

If you might want to demolish and rebuild, then your new dwelling will be affected, as the new dwelling would ideally take up most of the GFA.

I can also envisage it being off-putting to potential tenants.

It's probably easier to move on to something else.

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'd pass. Easy decision.

10. Mill

Mill Well-Known Member

@Leo2413 what is your reason to suggest passing?

If a dwelling already exists on the block and I need to re-build in the future, surely I just need to re-build with a similar footprint and I'd be fine? Or is it not that simple?

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Total new engineering design and calculations.

Sackie likes this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

As @Scott No Mates said above.

To me its not worth it, unless your getting the block at a killer price or it has very unique aspects. If its just your run of the mill 405sqm then I'd pass. But i always keep risk front and center for every purchase. Sometimes abit overkill but its kept me out of disastrous trouble so far.

13. Mill

Mill Well-Known Member

@Leo2413 @Scott No Mates any idea on the extra costs of new engineering design and calculations? Couple thousand? Or 10's to 100's of thousand? It is in a great suburb at a great price (with plenty of upside after a cosmetic reno) otherwise I would move on. So if I can budget in the potential downside into the purchase cost it may be worth considering.

I also want to keep risk at the front of purchases. But at the same time I don't to run away from every small problem. Trying to quantify the risks before I pass

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If you think its a great deal then maybe put in an offer with a DD clause allowing you some time to get an engineer/town planner on site and their input.

I get development DD clauses for all my sites before I am willing to go unconditional. If you think you will be building your home on it one day then treat it as a development site and get in that DD clause for 10 days so you can be certain it wont be a dud later on.

15. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Not that it is directly related but it is related to manholes and developments.

This house (if you would call it that) sold in July 2016 for 620k - 111 Evenwood Street, Coopers Plains, Qld 4108 - Property Details

This is the sewerage pipeline with the 'big dot' being the manhole.

upload_2017-12-19_15-42-45.png

So you can clearly see there is 2 sewerage lines running directly under the back of the property - so you would think you cannot build at the back of the block (front would be okay STCA). Well it actually got approved for 3 sites 2x400m2 and 1x600m2 (roughly speaking)

upload_2017-12-19_15-47-46.png

Sold listings

109 Evenwood Street, Coopers Plains, Qld 4108 - Property Details - sold 284k

107 & 111 Evenwood Street, Coopers Plains, Qld 4108 - Property Details sold 660k

Total sale price was 944k from a 620k purchase however I doubt the developer made much money.

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

How long did the project take from acquisition to all 3 sales?

17. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Bought June/July 2016 and only just sold. He was wanting to get over 1M combined for the completed site.

Rough numbers mentioned
    purchase - 620k
    stamp duty - 23k
    demolishing - 10k
    subdivision cost - 200k
    12 months interest - 853k ill use 5% - 42.6k
    REA fees - 944k @ 2% - 19k
    Marketing - 5k

Total Approx 920k

With sales price of 944k leaves profit of 24k before tax so roughly 15k after tax.

So the numbers are tight on these very favourable numbers - I would assume commission would be higher than 2% I used at 3% he would lose another 10k roughly so like I said it would of been very very tight

Another thing I haven't included is I know his interest rate is higher than the 5% I used as he told me his interest rate.

Hope this is a lesson to everyone that it isn't always 'easy' to make money from developments :)

Sackie likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Insane.