settlement shortfall sums, should I deposit it in the solicitor's account or in the lender's acount?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Lady_In_Red, 16th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lady_In_Red

Lady_In_Red Member

Hi,

The lender has unconditionally approved my loan. The LVR is 80%, and, they have offered me the following two options to contribute the remaining 20%, for them to be able to provide all proceeds at settlement:
    • deposit the final settlement contribution in the offset account the lender will open for me; OR,
    • deposit it directly into my Solicitor Trust Account
    It's my first property purchase, and I have no clue the PRO's and CON's of each method. Could someone please shed a light on my dilemma?

Thanks in anticipation,
    Lady in Red

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It doesn't matter too much in my opinion. If you want to claim the interest on the deposit it might be safer in the solicitor trust account

Scott No Mates likes this.
  3. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

Not much difference in either, however if your bank offers it, it's most likely your solicitor will ask you to use that account.

4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Some solicitors charge a fee to use their trust account so you may want to check that before making a decision.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice