Settlement of Apartment - Electricity Enquiry/issue

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by JK200SX, 27th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

Settling on an apartment at the end of this week and have a query in regards to electricity. The builders agents handling the settlement have included this in an email:

"Immediately after settlement you will be responsible for the connection of utilities to your apartment.
    Electricity is individually metered to your apartment. Please contact your preferred electricity provider to set up an account in your/your tenants name. You will need to provide them with your apartment address details.
    It is important that this is done to ensure that there is no interruption in service."

I queried this with one of their agents and she replied,

"Some of the reasons behind that is the fact that once the builder disconnects the power completely, it will cost extra to re-connect when the tenants move in.

The other thing to consider is that, if you are planning to lease it out, when holding open for inspections there will not be power or lights for potential tenants when viewing the apartment.

The decision is yours though."

So, what do you guys do in a situation like this? (the period of connection could be as little as 1 day if the property gets tenanted quickly !!!)

Any recommendations here, service providers, etc?

Thanks for your help.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Connect!

Ring up and describe the situation, there are special plans available for this sort of thing without high connection and disconnection fees. I did it recently with Energy Australia.

Marg4000 likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

As Terry said. One simple phone call, make sure it is a connection that can be terminated at any time.
    Marg

4. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

The builder's not going to pay for electricity post hand over and I wouldn't want to be showing the property with no electricity so best to get a short term connection sorted. Any future tenants will also appreciate this.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Connect. I just use AGL, who I also use for my popr ( and I chose AGL originally because of their solar feed in tariff)

6. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

The provider can connect within 24hrs if there is a smart meter. Otherwise 3 days notice is required. Origin Energy charges just under $11. This is not a big deal. It's cheap. Just connect. Unless you already have a tenant organised in which case they need to connect.

Remember it is not compulsory to have the electricity connected for open for inspections, but it is tough for an agent to show a property in the dark... and it is dark quite early at this time of year... well and truly dark for those viewing after work at 5.30pm or thereafter.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd also connect. And make sure you disconnect when you get a tenant. Not only will the apartment look better with lights, if you are looking for a tenant and it is cold, that is a big turn off. If there is heating, I'd be making sure it is turned on for any inspections.