Settlement Gifts - did you get one and what was it?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Miss Monopoly, 7th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I go to huge bottle of champagne from one agent. Clearly it was a stock standard gift - I'd flown up for the day for settlement and so taking it into the plane in my carry on was more trouble than it was worth. I should've left it in the terminal for someone else to enjoy.

My fave gift was when I bough my first home. It was a plastic toolkit containing moving in essentials - toilet paper, a plastic bag, a sachet of dishwashing liquid, a few cleaning wipes, a packet of lollies and a bottle of water. Quite inexpensive but useful.

SeafordSunshine and chylld like this.
  2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

That's cute! We got nothing with our recent purchase.

3. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

We were given two- they stuffed up! Agent gave us one when we got the keys (we had access prior to settlement), and then gave me the same thing again at settlement..I didn't tell them they gave me two because I liked what i got!
    Big pretty round gift box, inside stuffed with tissue paper, with a room diffuser spray, a scented candle and some thing else (can't remember what it was but along those lines) was all made by one of those home made candle maker people..

4. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Beach view is enough, surely :)

5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I think your all paying too much if your getting this for IPs, I guess agents do not reward those that make them work and cut into commissions ... :)

Although I did get a key ring with the keys on a couple (why miss a chance to rub in the brand)

One of my solicitors however send bottles of plonk, but we do not drink it.....

Can you put in your contract that all gifts should be cash only please ??? :D

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Yeah - but that wasn't free! :D

7. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Haha best bottle of wine I got was for my cheapest purchase, my Elizabeth East property.
    But mind you the agent had the listing from public trustee and he was an eastern suburbs agent.
    So likely was someone in the office just sending it through as standard for settlements.

legallyblonde likes this.
  8. James42

James42 New Member

A bottle of wine, especially if it is a good wine is not a bad gift for such a deal :D heh. I would also love to get a Cabernet Sauvignon to close the purchase. However, the only things I have got once was a canvas print from frameshop with a tree to put it in the living room. I remember how long was the story about the significance of this tree and why could it bring luck! Heh, anyway, I always remember that the attention is more important than the gift itself, and actually I was flattered to get such a nice gift with a significance.

9. Squeakywheel

Squeakywheel Well-Known Member

Last property I bought I got a drink dispenser and a set of glasses, it was also the easiest purchase I've made.
    I'm negotiating another property atm and it's been very stressful, wonder what the agent will give me for this one.

10. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I got one once but I was too surprised by it I didn't have a chance to refuse it. I generally like to make all my business transactions black and white.

11. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I've purchased 11 properties, but only ever received one for my PPOR.
    It was a picture frame that had photos of the house, the REA's details and said "Congratulations on your purchase my_wife's_name and not_my_name".

I think I preferred what I got for my other 10 property purchases!

Curious2019 likes this.
  12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Got sparkling and reds - I think they have always been in those gift bag things or a (wooden) box one time...and the keys on a big RE key ring.

Some useful gifts from my selling agent last time - 2 x umbrellas (one small travel and one full size).

The Y-man