Settlement date bought forward by vendor

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by kanad, 2nd May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

I bought a newly built townhouse as PPOR on 14th April and went on Holiday. At the time the lot wasn't registered and the title wasn't ready. The vendor's have applied for it. The contract of sale says

SETTLEMENT (general condition 10)
    is due on the 10th day of June 2018
    unless the land is a lot on an unregistered plan of subdivision, in which case settlement is due on the later of:
    • the above date; or
    • 14 days after the vendor gives notice in writing to the purchaser of registration of the plan of subdivision;
    • 14 days after the vendor gives notice in writing to the purchaser issue of the Occupancy Permit.

Now the title has been registered and the vendor's solicitor contacted my conveyancer and asking for settlement on 16th May. I came back on Monday and have the loan offer paperwork from the bank which I planned to complete this weekend. But now my broker is suggesting to hurry up given I got the settlement notice today evening.

I am not ready as I thought the settlement day is 10th of June. What can I do? I will ask my conveyancer tomorrow to stick to the original date. Where do I stand legally? Should I contact the selling RE agent as well?

2. obiuquido144

obiuquido144 Well-Known Member

If you made a typo in the year and it's actually 2019, I would tell the conveyancer that you don't agree with the proposed variation to the contract and will stick to agreed terms.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

June is not at option, the land was untitled and the vendor has provided the requisite 14 days notice.

If there are no penalties (depends on the contract), then miss settlement date and they must serve a notice to complete.

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Assuming youve typed it correctly, i would ask about the phrase “the later of”.

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Simply seek legal advice, and in the meantime get the loan documents signed and lodged. You still have plenty of time left.

6. obiuquido144

obiuquido144 Well-Known Member

It's most likely a standard OTP contract the developer has been using since two or so years ago, the 2018 is not a typo and the OP has two weeks to settle as agreed.

OP can default, get a rescision notice from vendor and still settle within 14 days after original settlement date with little penalty.

Or even better ask the seller for a reasonable settlement extension without penalty, they agree most of the time.

7. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

Sorry the date was typo, should be 2019

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Land tax?

9. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

Good news, my conveyancer has apologised and now fixed the settlement to the original agreed date of 10th June.

Marg4000 likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.