Setting up a Self Managed Super Fund (SMSF)

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Harry30, 5th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Hi, I am looking to move my superannuation from an industry fund to a self managed super fund, largely to gain greater control over investment choice. I am not looking to do anything out of the ordinary with the investments, borrow money, lend money to a business, or any of those other things that often drive people to set up a SMSF. My investment approach will be to buy and hold largely diversified index funds. I see the CBA has a SMSF package that allows you to establish a trust deed, provides auditing services, etc. I also see that DIXON Advisory and others offer a vehicle and support services to those wishing to establish a SMSF. I was woundering whether those on the forum who have gone through this process could offer some tips on the best vehicles to use. What worked well and what did not work so well. I am not looking for the cheapest offering, but also don’t want to spend on fees unnecessarily if there is a good operator in the market with reasonable fees and a great product.

Redwing likes this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

A deed is a legal document so you really should see a lawyer to set one up, however part of the setting up will involve financial advice so you will need a financial planner in conjunction with the lawyers. I would suggest you avoid CBA.

Harry30 likes this.
  3. monk

monk Well-Known Member

e-super works for me & others here,low cost,simple & they take care of everything,check t out on line.

Harry30, Redwing and Terry_w like this.
  4. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I use SuperPlus

Fees and Auditing come to around $2k p/a; 2 individual trustees, 2 member accounts, various investments, 1 CMA

Pricing

Heinz57 and Harry30 like this.
  5. willy1111

willy1111 Well-Known Member

Another vote for esuperfund

6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Redwing and Terry_w like this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Talk to Paul Gerrard at Price Financial - you'll find him on here somewhere

Redwing likes this.
  8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Most accountants partner with a law firm that provides SMSF trust deeds (and company structures etc for corporate trustees if required). Many accountants are also licensed to give financial advice or have staff/partners who are licensed.

Find a good accountant and they'll be able to take care of it for you and give you the advice you need.

Ross Forrester, PJG and trinity168 like this.
  9. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Appears the first port of call is a good accountant who can basically glue the whole thing together. Ie. Get lawyer to draft trust deed, provide financial advice, provide guidance on annual tax returns, etc.

Ross Forrester likes this.
  10. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member