Setting up a clinic in a house

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Amit Temurnikar, 27th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Amit Temurnikar

Amit Temurnikar Member

What is the process to have a clinic included in the house? I am planning to buy a new H&L package and have a vet clinic for my wife in one part of the house.
    Any thoughts or pointers on how this can be done?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A H&L package isn't going to cut it - a project home simply isn't suited to be adapted and would need a bespoke solution.

You/your wife & architect/planner will need to be familiar with the DPI or regulator's requirements for a vet practice.

Obvious considerations would include:
    • Parking (staff, visitors)
    • Waiting area/reception
    • Treatment rooms
    • Operating theatre
    • Animal boarding
    • Recovery
    • Bond store
    • Overnight staff accommodation
    • Grooming room (if required)
    • Signage
    Planner or architect will be able to advise whether this use will fit a home business classification.

AxeLy and Stoffo like this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Your local council will have guidance and then will need to approve it. I know through clients that council have very strict rules for vets since there are two broad classifcations. A vet hospital is far harder than consulting rooms (clinic) and since annimals an be both samall and large they have some bizarre rules. And the state vet board will be involved in that approval. And local council may only approve after the Vet board approves.

Your state will have a state law that governs approved practices and premises etc. (Vet' Practice Act & regs) amongst many laws that all need to be complied with. I have a client who is hanging onto his approved hospital but he isnt allowed to modify or sell it.

Legislation

Home may be a first start. A project build probably wont comply without very costly mods

4. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I used to live near one, the front door led to the waiting room then the double garage was the clinic and cages. Then the house was to the other side of the entry and waiting room. I think if you could do it under main roof but seperate like a granny flat at least would be better.

5. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

one of the criteria councils often have is that it has to be on main rd as well as other things, it's all in the planning documents for each council