Servicing of Storage Hot Water Cylinder

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Leslie, 9th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Hi friends
    I am seeing lot of advertisements about servicing of the storage type hot water cylinders to extend the life. Typically HWS units fails around 10 -12 years and needs replacement. The advt. claims to extend the life of HWS by few years. Has any one tried this? I just replaced one HWS excatly after 10 years it was installed.

I have few other properties with HWS aged around 7/8 years old. Is it possible to increase the life of this units by doing the servicing/cleaning as recommended by this advt? Has anyone tried this and it successful? Thanks in advance. I think if it is wise to spend few $$ now to post pone spending $1500 by few years.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's totally dependent upon what they're servicing.

An electric hws has a sacrificial anode which can be replaced and both gas & electric have a pressure relief valve.

Not much else to service & if the tank springs a leak, it's an urgent replacement job.

Stoffo likes this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

OP: You need to replace the annode at or before specified intervals (e.g. every 4-5 years) for most storage systems.

If recommended by the manufacturer, then definitely worth doing. I would get it done when the plumber is there anyway for something else - more economical.

Last edited: 9th Nov, 2020
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The sacrificial anode is also more relevant to some harder water areas each 4 years. In urban fresh water they may have less effect. Plumber suggested most HWS have a life of the tank of 10 years +. They charge around $200- $240 for a new anode.

My plumber suggested a tempering valve to keep the water temp hot but not overly so will also extended the life (gas). An anode can still be of effect in a gas heater but less than an electric. $40-$60 ebay.

5. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

How much are they charging for a service?

6. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

They can need servicing , they should last longer than 12 years. I have ones that are 50 years old. Only ever replaced 2 and they where over 20 years old. It depends on the quality of your water if you put rainwater through them they will last longer, You can check the condition of the element with a multimetre. The element may need removing and sediment flushed out as sediment can greatly reduce efficiency and erode the element. Once the tanks get old and rusty though it may be best not to disturb them and run them off solar power, as you may run out off water relying on night rate to supply enough hot water for a larger household.

Leslie likes this.
  7. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the advice. I might try servicing on one first and see how it goes.

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Modern hws are rubbish and might last 15 yr but i swear the 10 yr warranty means its built to last 11 no more....maybe. The tank will corrode or split. Just like cars etc Their life in engineered

9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

lol.....I have some magic snake oil, reduced price of only 50 bucks if you buy 4, non refundable cash payments available now.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia