services in trench

Discussion in 'Development' started by grant7, 24th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. grant7

grant7 Member

Hi All - Just doing my first vacant survey strata (in WA) 8 lots.
    Just a question re the services that run down the central drive to each lot.
    sewer - water - power - gas - data (nbn-telstra)
    Does anyone know which order the services are laid in.
    ie. what goes in first (ie. deepest) to last (ie. shallowist)..not sure if thats a word..
    Would it be normal that whoever lays the first service would dig the trench ?
    And whoever puts in the last service would fill it ?
    Thanks !
    Grant

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Shallowest is the word you want :)

Some services are incompatible with others. I can't remember which one it is but I think it's gas and power or water can't go in together and need to be separated.

Absolutely you want to keep a trench open until finished rather than redigging it all the time but I'm not too sure who goes first and therefore if you get the first service to dig it or just dig it yourself. Whomever does it, won't dig it for free and will charge you for it so it might be economical for you to hire someone to do it and have that same person come back and fill in at end.

Your surveyor will probably know the answer to this one, so check with them.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Priority goes to drainage both stormwater and sewer as these are reliant on falls, the rest FIFO

4. Rugz06

Rugz06 Well-Known Member

I am sure rules differ state to state, but the construction sector I work in. Electrical and Comms services need to me run in different conduits atleast 600mm below Finished Floor Level or Ground Level.
    Sewer and stormwater pipes are dependant on drainage systems, sometimes you are limited, but I think its minimum 300mm below surface.
    Gas and water supply would be 450 below I believe.
    Even if these aren't the rules, they are good standards to follow.

Generally you cannot have certain services next to each other, so you would need to check this. For example you may need 300mm between water services and elec/comms.
    Trenches are 600mm wide minimum if all services are placed. But I wouldn't recommend this. Do to connections, generally separate anyway.

And traditionally because water and electrical are in the same trench, the plumber would do theirs and the sparky their trench.... or just get the civil contractor to do both.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The Y-man likes this.
  6. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member