Serviceability floor Rate

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by sumterrence, 23rd Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sumterrence

sumterrence Well-Known Member

Do you guys think banks will start reviewing their servicing floor rates to further ease up lending to support government QE initiatives? With interest rates not going to rise anytime soon I think a reduced floor rates should be on the cards.

2. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone wants more residential debt in the system at this point

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Only takes one to do it, they will get smashed with new work and will have to pull up stumps

Hard to gauge really

ta
    rolf

4. smallbuyer

smallbuyer Well-Known Member

Any updates on floor rates?

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Most are a little above 5%.

Technically there is no requirement for floor rates at this point, but the assessment rate must be 2.5% above the actual rate, but quite a few lenders still use them (and they're often more than 2.5% above what you are paying). This suggests to me that lenders won't be easing their policies very quickly even if the regulators do.

7. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

APRA prescribe that lenders have floor rates as well as the 2.5% rule in APG223.

In the lending frameworks, APRA have 'wishy washy' wording about what the floor rate should be - tied to the medium/longer term interest rate setting in the economy. Given they've been loose with their wording here, banks, who want to lend, effectively just move the floor rate down whenever it approaches the 2.5% + actual rate. Hence floor rates are around 5-5.1% now - roughly 2.5% above the variable rate mortgage for a P&I OO loan.

8. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

As an aside

APRA and ASIC love grey and opaque so that the responseability for individual borrower failures and lender/broker "breaches" cant be attributed to poor regulation.

Recent BID is a fab example whereby a broker will almost always be non compliant until we have some case law, and PI premiums of 15 k + per year such as is the case in Financial Planning.

ta
    rolf