Serviceability and development

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Creamy, 20th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Creamy

Creamy Well-Known Member

Ironing out my strategy. Is it possible to do a development if you're nearing your serviceability ceiling?

Assuming you're doing a build and retain, or sell some hold some, and that you can do an equity release for soft costs and subdivision, wouldn't the subsequent construction or home loans still be assessed against your income?

Am I right in assuming that development isn't possible unless you have significant serviceability left?

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Commercially based transactions with a defined exit and a decent margin are usually not serviceability tested

ta
    rolf

flyhere, Ethan Timor and Cactus like this.
  3. Creamy

Creamy Well-Known Member

Does this only apply for commercial loans?

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Yes only for commercial loans as they will look at the development.
    Smaller commercial loans with no presales etc will often still look at serviceability to ensure that you can make the repayments if you can't sell

5. goodtimes

goodtimes Well-Known Member

How will rental income from the finished product be viewed for serviceability with resi finance?
    Do you still need to show serviceability during the construction period?

6. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Generally lenders will look at finance based on the end debt value and rent so the fact that there is no rent during the construction period is not considered.

There are some lenders are a little more finnicky with this and some will be VERY conservative with the rental value estimated unless the property is turn-key/able to be leased immediately once the construction is completed without any other parts of the construction being done with cash funds not attributed to the initial finance application.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I built a 4 townhouse development recently in Melb had an issue with servicing debt so went RAMS lo doc. This is another avenue but will need ABN number. Give them a call to find out what is required

I recommend this product if you are stuck, you wont need to jump hoops and I believe best lo doc product on market today

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Are you asking if a lender will lend you 100% of the dev + construct based on its future value ?