Serviceability affected by existing loan on joint ownership

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by ADK, 8th Feb, 2023.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ADK

ADK Active Member

Hi! Not entirely sure how to describe this situation. So i have an IO under joint ownership with my husband. Now, I want to buy an IO solely on my name. The problem is that when lender assesses my serviceability, they consider 100% of the loan of the joint property, only 50% of the rental income for the joint property, and also 100 % of the living expenses. This is significantly affecting the serviceability when in fact living expenses are shared, the interest on the loan is also shared (as it's joint). Is this a bank policy or an APRA policy? Are there lenders who are more practical and less conservative in their calculation of such a scenario? Thanks!

2. Kinko

Kinko Active Member

There are banks with a lending policy called 'common debt reduce' which is the solution you're looking for. Under this policy, the bank would consider only taking 50% of the joint loan rather than taking 100% of the joint loan which affects your serviceability.

There's a variation to this policy where the bank will still take 100% of the joint loan but they will allow you to use 100% of the rental income.

St George allows the first option - taking 50% of the joint loan and 50% of the rental income for your individual servicing calculations.

I'm sure there are other lenders too so best to speak to a good broker on this forum so they can research the best option to maximise your borrowing capacity.

3. ADK

ADK Active Member

Thanks! I'm with westpac. Isn't St George under the same Westpac group?

4. Kinko

Kinko Active Member

St George is under the same group but they do differ in their lending policies though. I don't recall or have any knowledge of Westpac having this particular special policy though.

5. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

There are alternative options yes, speak to a Broker to find out what you qualify for.

6. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

I just posted in another thread
    CBA will look at this w/
    - Stat dec (both parties)
    - evidence
    That's for the debt/rent

They also have policy for the living expenses also.

7. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

Cba - alternative servicing
    STG - common debt reducers
    MAC Bank will consider it also.

These are assuming all parties can service their portion of the debt + existing debts to be able to only use your portion of the debt in yoir calculations.

8. ADK

ADK Active Member

Thanks! This will hopefully give some relief.

9. ADK

ADK Active Member

Thanks! really appreciate you share this. Never heard of this policy.

10. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Wait aren't you the same person that posted this thread ?Bank closed LOC. Won't re-instate. What to do.

I wouldn't be using any part of the Westpac group for future lending if you're lodging a complaint with AFCA currently.

You really need to use the services of a Broker.

Terry_w and The Y-man like this.
  11. ADK

ADK Active Member

Yes, i am. I'm stuck. I'm now trying to find an alternative solution in place of that LOC - to help ease my anguish over that matter. I will definitely look into engaging the service of a broker. My previous broker who helped set up my loan (with that LOC) has retired.

12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Don't want to sound too blunt but.... what is there to anguish over about buying an IP?

IMHO If you can't buy it, it's usually a good sign to say it's the wrong time.

The Y-man

craigc, Lindsay_W, ADK and 2 others like this.