Service that checks public sources for rezoning

Discussion in 'Development' started by dankim, 28th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dankim

dankim New Member

I am thinking of creating that makes a service that:

1. programatically checks local government websites for information about changes in zoning
    2. alerts you as soon as it finds a change

Would this be of interest to the developers here?

Thanks,

SmileSydney and GreatNSW like this.
  2. Gavin Ng

Gavin Ng Well-Known Member

@dankim To be honest, I doubt any real developers would be interested. By the time the rezonings come through or even the first draft plan it's already too late. I personally know people employed by developers whos sole job is to "predict" the rezonings. The big developers are always one step ahead and for those that follow the herd, it has already been factored in to the price. You never know though, might be useful for someone starting off or for investors or mums and dads but like I said, by then, already factored in to the price.

And also when I said big developers, I mean a specific type of developer who likes to land bank on speculative rezonings, usually using asian capital

Last edited: 28th Nov, 2017
  3. dankim

dankim New Member

Thanks a lot for the insight, didn't know there was already a market built on this. Does anyone think it has scope for smaller developers interested in the R2-R4 zones.

4. dankim

dankim New Member

Sorry meant R2-R3

5. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I would use it but again probably would be too late, and once word got out everybody would be using it which would defeat the purpose of trying to stay ahead of the pack. Feel free to word me up on any upcoming rezoning hot tips you have though! I’m new to looking for rezoning opportunities, previously I’ve just bought in RGZ because I haven’t learnt enough about rezoning proposals etc yet. I need to spend time learning!

6. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

a lot of rezoning involves taking into consideration community inputs and also where transportation routes or near to commercial centres are shopping strips, shopping centres. Sometimes this process can take years if not to achieve. It maybe worthwhile to purchase in areas where it just got rezoned so you can get it confirmed.

Sometimes you can predict but then the rezoning only happens on the opposite hence you're missed out.

7. Matthew Hughes

Matthew Hughes Well-Known Member Business Member

I agree, most developers are looking to get in before rezoning (we regularly review local council minutes and draft plans/policies etc for updates on potential future changes to keep track of areas before they are gazetted).

A map based app/software defining density and zoning, with a draft zoning overlay component, searchable by address or suburb would be useful (anyone can do this using Google Maps or Google Earth now, it's just the time it takes to initially set up and then monitor and update as changes are made). Larger companies would likely already have this set up (but may look at whether its cheaper to pay a licence to you for this or to pay an employee to do this), however smaller companies would find this useful for research and strategy and being able to see the big picture on a map rather than going into separate LGA planning maps/intramaps etc.