Septic Tank Advice

Discussion in 'Development' started by Cherrychan, 9th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cherrychan

Cherrychan Active Member

Hi all, I'm considering buying an old rural property with a run down cottage in Tasmania. One thing that would be required is a septic system of some kind.

Can anyone recommend any systems and give any advice, and an indication as to how much the costs will be?

Let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks all!

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Big hole seems to work pretty well :)

There are quite a few options out there these days depending on what you're after and your tree hugging level

But first stop would be council to see what they specify

Then go from there.

IM not overly familiar but there are "soak aways" where the liquids go into the ground then solids pumped as required. Also eco cycles where the liquid is sprayed onto the grass to water and fertilise

3. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I have a Biolytix system. It turns black and grey water into a non-potable raw water suitable for watering a yard space (mine is 144m2 ).

While I'm thinking location price variation, don't expect much change from $20k plus the 3 monthly chemical service ($100 odd).

pinkboy

4. barfly

barfly Member

Our 3BR beach house in Sth Gippsland uses a supertreat.com.au system. We've had no issues since built back in 2009. Install cost about $3k plus $260/yr anual service fee.

5. Cherrychan

Cherrychan Active Member

barfly, how much was the actual system cost on top of installation? Also what was the permit process and fee like? (I know it's probably different for my council, but I'm just after a rough idea of what to expect).

Thanks for your replies all!

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I built in Tassy and needed a septic - they are very particular as to what you can and can't have. I can't remember the costs but I ended up with some kind of ATU that waters the garden.

Definitely chat to council first or you'll do all your research only to find it's not allowed. :)

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Envirocycle - @pinkboy would've bought one just to say he had buried his most expensive cycle in the yard ;)

8. barfly

barfly Member

Cherry, it was back in 2009 and from memory total cost was in the order of $5-6K, but was part of a fixed price build. Requirements are to have enough clear land area around your residence to bury the dispersal lines. Our house was a basic 3br/2bath/no garage (beach house) on a 650sqm block. More people/beds requires more available land space.
    But, you may not be able to plant your vegie garden within the dispersal area.

HTH