Separate bath and shower in small space (2.5m x 1.5m)

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Perp, 23rd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

We managed to fit a separate bath and shower in a 2.5 x 1.5m bathroom in our new PPOR, and I thought some other SSers might be interested to see how we did it. I think it came up great!

[​IMG]

Standing at the door, on the left is the heated towel rail:

[​IMG]

And to the right, there is the shower cubicle - full room width, note the luxurious rainshower head - that you step through to get to the bath. We chose this configuration, rather than a shower-over-bath, in consideration of the difficulty of visiting grandparents stepping into a bath to shower. It also meant no compromise on size of shower cubicle or bath, and still feels quite spacious.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 23rd Jun, 2015
  2. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

wow that's a really good idea, I'll have to remember this.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Great idea!! very cleaver and great way to get them seperate, im not a fan of shower over bath

I like the tile choice for the shower area, just breaks it up discretely to show the "different areas"

4. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Thanks, bob. :) I confess the idea was adapted from a bathroom I saw in a display home about 15 years ago, from now-defunct Capricorn 151 series by architect Gabriel Poole. (I'm a bit of an architect groupie.)

The feature tile has attracted a lot of compliments. It's plain white, textured with small cubes. (It's not off-white; it can look that way in some light because it breaks up and reflects the light differently, but it's stark white.)

[​IMG]

5. Zos

Zos Active Member

Awesome use of limited space, I think it worked out terrific! Well done!

Would you have been able to get a vanity in? On the wall opposite the bathroom entry and had the shower door open on the other side or a sliding one?

Last edited: 26th Jun, 2015
  6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

nice tiles!! now i see how it works, good choice

7. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Yes, you could have, but we weren't actually short on space; it just occurred to me that this wet room design might be helpful to people who were. :)

Our design driver was that we wanted a two-way bathroom/toilet, but we wanted it set up so that more than one person could use it at a time, e.g. one person could be showering, another using the toilet, another brushing teeth at vanity. So the larger context of this wet room actually looks like this:

[​IMG]

Our teenaged sons' rumpus room is above this image, and their bedrooms off that room, so they come in from the top door. The bottom door opens to the study / guest room. This arrangement means that, as stated, three people can be using this zone without interrupting each other's privacy.

Further, because the "needing privacy" functions of toileting and showering are behind privacy doors, there was no need for a privacy door on the other two doors, eliminating the awkwardness of having to remember to privacy lock and unlock the other side's door of a two-way bathroom. (Teenagers, and particularly teenaged boys, aren't good at remembering stuff like that.)

8. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

very cool Tracey - I've always liked the "pre shower" look.

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Nice. I'm seeing this look a bit at the moment, and I was curious if all the water goes everywhere and into the bath etc - not the end of the world but wondered if it created more cleaning.

It makes the area seem larger and more flowing.

[​IMG]

Perp likes this.
  10. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Yes, the bath gets wet. It's a white bath, it dries off like the tiles do. If you're the type who'd have to wipe down the bath with a towel rather than letting it air dry, then I'd guess this design is not for you. :)

Westminster likes this.