Semi vs terrace

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by spider_69, 22nd Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spider_69

spider_69 Well-Known Member

Hi all

We are looking at picking up a PPOR in Sydney in the next 2-3 years. We aren't in a rush, and will probably hold out until we see some signs of a recovery.

A lot of people seem to be negative on owning a semi. I understand where they are coming from, and I guess sometimes it probably feels like you only own half a house, but I don't generally hear the same negative sentiment about terraces. To me, terraces would have all the same problems as a semi with respect to shared walls, difficulty renovating, noise etc, except to an even higher degree (given you often have shared walls on both side).

I would love to get perspectives from people on this forum as to the pros and cons, and whether I am missing something on the above.

2. Starbright

Starbright Well-Known Member

I assume you are looking within 10kms of the city.

For the same price, you might find terraces are on a smaller block of land with more house, while semis could have larger land and less house. I would prefer a semi in that case as you could add value and go up in the future and end up with a nice big place.

If you can afford it, Iā€™d also choose a wider front as the really narrow semis and terraces can feel pokey and harder to add value.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Terror-souse:
    • Rising damp, must be treated on both sides of common walls.
    • Limitations on getting natural light and ventilation to internal rooms
    • Usually softish bricks
    • Poor underfloor ventilation
    • Have usually been poorly renovated in the past
    Semi
    • Much younger (Californian bungalow era)
    • Often Jerry-built
    • Less intricate/decorative features
    • Wider block than earlier periods
    • Lower ceiling height
    • Thinly glazed leadlight

4. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

there are varying degrees of build quality in different suburbs. (remember the era they were built). some were built with dubious building codes (or lack of), and beware of home renovations as @Scott No Mates mentioned.

I have seen some amazing renovations (professionally done) of both styles. usually internal walls are knocked out and open plan designs.
    the common party walls are often (not always) solid double brick, so very sound proof.

5. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

In WA a semi often gets you into a "better" area on a bigger block for less than a house does. I wouldn't want to live in many of the Terraces I have seen even if they are in a good area.

6. Scott No Mates

Another advantage of a semi - easily relocated.

[​IMG]

7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I would only be concerned with what suited me, i.e.....size, layout, location, condition....etc etc

8. spider_69

spider_69 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful.

@Scott No Mates and @bmc - regarding the poor quality of renovations, is there a reason this is more an issue with terraces? Is it a cost thing (people getting over their heads / cutting corners)?

Thanks again

9. Scott No Mates

Lost skills, destruction of ornamentation, incompatible construction eg cement mortar/cement render vs lime mortar or plaster. Older brickwork was softer and often cracks with cement rich materials.

spider_69 likes this.