selling with building and pest inspection, bad idea?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Barny, 12th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've amended my earlier post. I thought there were states where the vendor paid for the building report? Perhaps they are worded differently to protect the purchaser?

If a structure was excluded then wouldn't you smell a rat if you were the purchaser? I have never seen a report that doesn't say something like "couldn't get into the sub-floor so that doesn't form part of this report". I've seen that enough times to believe anything that cannot be inspected is noted on the report. I've never seen any structure simply left off.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I don't know how they would get around the contractual issues. It is like a valuation - a bank valuation can only be relied upon by the bank. others could use it as a guide but couldn't sue the valuer if it was way off.

With the exclusions the builder should probably note that they didn't include a certain part of the property if only to limit their liability. But that doesn't necessarily mean they will.

3. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

As I and @wylie have said before nothing is stopping the person from purchasing their own report either direct with the person who did the report or getting their own B&P.

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I would like that if it was done by a registered person and to standards, I may still do my own, but this would help, if you were going to decline B&P clauses, it would make it worse.

5. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

Personally, seeing your report is three years old, I would deem it as useless and get my own anyway if I was an interested buyer.

Three years is a long time for something to go wrong, for the vendor to carry out shoddy diy renno work etc etc

6. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I've seen this now and then. In fact, my recent Brisbane purchase already had a B&P report done, but I paid for an independent report; my satisfaction of which was a condition of the contract.

It's nice to get a look at things beforehand but I'd never chance it on a report paid for by the vendor/agent as the only B&P you see. It's worth the extra few hundred dollars for peace of mind and a second, independent, opinion.

7. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Very true - The purchaser can get his own b&p but I won't be necessarily doing him or her any favours to get one done for him.

8. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I wouldn't organize one before hand myself personally however if it was a legal requirement then I would.

Why would I want to spend $500 unless it was going to add $1,000 to my sale price..

However I would organize my own one even if there was one there.