Selling Waterfront home in SEQld suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by SurfSeeker, 3rd Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SurfSeeker

SurfSeeker Active Member

Hi New here,

I am hoping that I might be able to get some advice about selling our family Property in Beachmere, SEQld.

Whilst it is addressed as Beachmere, it is actually a few km out of the township itself ( 5 mins) and is under Bribie Island council jurisdiction. It is a very well maintained large 3 bedroom, two bathroom, two living room, single level, double garage, absolute waterfront property with a boat ramp and sandy beach on title, views to Redcliffe, Stradbroke, Moreton and Bribie Islands, 40 minutes to Brisbane airport, 1 hr to Brisbane and Noosa, 1/2 hour to Glasshouse Mountains 12 minutes to Sandstone Point Hotel/Bribie Is. The street has only 50 houses with the Bay at front and a swan filled lake at the back. All the surrounding houses are renovated to a high standard with many in the street changing hands over the last couple of years so I expect more enhancement.
    We are stuck in NSW not able to cross the border to use the place.

My questions are:
    What or how do you think is the best way to market a house like this?
    Is it best to use a local agent or one of the larger ‘City’ firms?
    Is it better to go with one agent or have open agreements with any agent able to bring buyers to the table? In this market I don’t imagine they have to look too hard for buyers?
    What % are agents asking?
    A local agent approached with an ‘off market” offer but I am unsure of how that works and if it is better to take it to a broader market given its attributes make it potentially a property that might have some interest. Or is it wiser to take this kind of an offer?

It is not 100% ready to go to market, ie it needs contents removed, cleaned and gardening attended and a fence painted which I would have to organise someone to do as we cannot cross the border. Am I better to arrange that and sell pre Christmas or wait and see if the border opens and arrange to sell in the new year when we can finish the things we would like and present it in its best light?

Does anyone have recommendations for a good solicitor/conveyancer in the area?

My gut is telling me to wait and have one last Holiday there once the border reopens.
    So many questions sorry☺️ Happy to hear any suggestions

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I know the street well.

You should be looking at very high $800Ks as an absolute minimum.

It may be worth waiting till the border re-opens as property in SE Qld should become even more popular as more people are allowed into the state.

Sackie and Player like this.
  3. Takingcareofbusiness

Takingcareofbusiness Well-Known Member

It's interesting that we are talking about a crazy boom in SE Qld, and an absolute waterfront property, less than an hour from BNE is suggested as worth only 6 figures. Makes no sense. Brisbane and surrounds have so much more to run, why would you sell?
    I know the area well. It is not an expensive area, but spectacularly undervalued at that price.
    Do not sell it now.

4. SurfSeeker

SurfSeeker Active Member

Hi Margie
    Thanks for reply...Houses nearby in the street, have been obtaining towards the mid $1m’s more recently. The most recent I’m told over $1.4m. Maybe the off market offer in that range should be relooked at? My gut does tell me to wait till the borders open again.

5. SurfSeeker

SurfSeeker Active Member

Hi TCOB
    It’s a family holiday house, with a few parties involved. It has always been loved by us for being out of the limelight. Some of us have different priorities now and with COVID making border crossings difficult and prices rising and the neighbourhood changing it seems possibly a good time.

6. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

People in Sydney are buying sight unseen at the moment as buyng a property gives them the right to apply for a border pass. I have a client who a few weeks ago bought sight unseen at Sandstone Point and will be moving there as soon as Anastasia let's them across the border. If you want to sell now you will have buyers desperate to move from the southern states.

7. SurfSeeker

SurfSeeker Active Member

Thanks Beachgurl
    A friend just bought sight unseen at Lennox Head, has moved in and happy as can be.
    There is no rush to sell, we had planned after border reopened. Just curiousity was raised with an off market offer ( though not sure how firm that is) Wondering if there is any advantage to selling now or wait till the borders open and it can be presented in its best light and have more accessibility and more competition for it?

8. Marg4000

Very much depends on the house. As you know they range from basic 3 bed 1 bath houses up to big mansions. I was suggesting an absolute minimum.

Also the position in the street is relevant. Although all blocks are notionally around 1,000sqm, those at the southern end are eroded whereas those at the northern end have the full area plus frontal low dunes.

9. Marg4000

Good luck with the border pass. At the moment there are over 8,000 applications with around 270 hotel rooms available. Processing only around 700 applications per week. Could be a long wait.

SurfSeeker likes this.
  10. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

That Ssndstone / Beachmere area is so undervalued.

SurfSeeker and Angel like this.