Selling Strategies

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by MTR, 15th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thought it would be worth mentioning some strategies to improve your chances of selling, which I recently used/currently using.

This is specifically for new products/builds -

Staging, for photos but also can make the house/unit etc look amazing show home presentation, and with clever arrangement of furniture, size, configuration can make rooms look larger and easier to sell

Prepare depreciation schedule, relatively inexpensive, prepare a pack, highlighting figures/cashflow with expected yields. This is targeted at investors and could give you the edge. That was a tip from bedeveloper, thanks.

3D images

Anyone have any other useful tips

MTR:)

Esh likes this.
  2. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Great ideas!!

I can add..

Time on Market:
    Genuine buyers are excited about a fresh home (one that has just come up for sale). Interest is a at the peak when the property is fresh since they know other buyers will be comming to see it. The best buyer is always the early buyer. Everyday the home is for sale it becomes more stale. Advertising does not make buyers buy- they were already intending to buy. Advertising tells buyers your home is not sold.

High prices come early, low prices come late. Buyers will rarely want to pay a high price if they feel its been rejected by other buyers due to the advertisement being repeated week after week. . The longer the home is exposed the weaker the negoiating position becomes.

MTR likes this.
  3. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Also

If your new IP is not selling and you decide to rent it for a few months before re-listing then you face..
    1. Extreme CGT and GST consequences. you are registered for GST and build a house for resale but then change the purpose by renting the house out you have to pay back the input tax credits on the property.
    2. Buyer pool is reduced since overseas investors cannot buy used property and first home buyers cannot claim the first home owner grant
    3. Buyers are willing to pay less for a used house then a brand new house
    4. Cleaning and repair costs to bring the house back to a marketable state

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Agree
    It's important to market correctly, I want bites within the first 4 weeks, it needs to be priced correctly otherwise you are shooting yourself in the foot.

5. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hi MTR

Great tips and I'd add:

1. Give buyers a list of comparable sales so they have confidence in the price being sought.

2. Leave room for negotiation or an "add-on" package so final price outcome results in a win-win situation for both buyer and seller. Buyers like to feel that the transaction hasn't been completely one-sided and they benefited in some tangible way. I'm not talking free car inclusions (so passé and done already ) but think creatively to sweeten the deal eg: subscription services, vouchers, strata levies complimentary for 12 mths etc.

3. Naturally your biggest asset should be a gifted salesperson who gets results that you may not otherwise

Propertunity and MTR like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Good points.
    Gifted salesperson, número 1.

7. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Instead of paying for staging, buy furniture packages(they are getting cheaper by day) and as @Jacque said offer as a add-on..

Something like, whoever pays asking price, get furniture as bonus.

If you have 3 or 4 villas to sell, you may find a buyer who wants furniture too.

MTR, wylie and wombat777 like this.
  8. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

Does a dimensioned plan add to the sale process? Where the market is uncertain, should the cited price be low, high or POA?

9. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Especially in Melbourne now in winter time for inspection make house warm, all heaters on. if you have fireplace, light the fire. Light candles, fill empty fruit bowls with fruits or chocolates and wases with flowers.

Unfortunately all these reality renovation TV shows has created a monster and you have to make people to imagine how they would feel to living in the place

10. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

Just last Sunday the newest block of units selling in Darwin CBD started offering a free Swift car with every purchase. Seemed like a good strategy. 20k of a gift for a 500k worth of a unit.