Selling PPOR with equity loan

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Pete Prescott, 14th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Pete Prescott

Pete Prescott Member

Hi All,

I have tried looking through the forum for an answer but can't seem to answer my question clearly.

I have a PPOR with a seperate Equity Loan I used for the deposit to by Investment property 1.

I am considering selling the PPOR which will mean the Equity Loan would need to be payed down from the proceeds of sale.

Can I use released equity from my Investment loan 1 to pay off the Equity loan used for the deposit to maintain deductability?

Thankyou.
    Peter

Frosty123 likes this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

chylld likes this.
  3. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

We've had the same LOC for the last three PPOR's . We've just substituted the Security from one house to another .
    When we did that with the last sale , we had a short gap and put the money in a term loan as security so we didn't have to go through refinancing.

If you have equity in the IP you can refinance and use that to pay down the Equity loan and it should still be deductable .

Cliff

4. Frosty123

Frosty123 Well-Known Member

Does this apply when refinancing?
    Currently have a PPOR with equity released to pay the deposit on an IP (both with same lender, but not cross collateralized).
    If I decide to refinance my PPOR with a new lender in the future, would I be best to follow the same advise as this post?

5. Pete Prescott

Pete Prescott Member

Great, thats what I was looking for!
    Thanks Terry and Cliff.

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

When refinancing you can incorporate the equity loan into main loan against the property it was used to purchase, or you can just secure the equity loan against the PPOR with the new lender. Either way, if done correctly, you won't change deductibility of interest as all you are doing is changing security for the loan and this doesn't effect deductibility. see Tax Tip 22: Security for a loan does not determine Deductibility of Interest