Selling Off The Plan apartment before it is fully built ?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by AlbertWT, 30th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AlbertWT

AlbertWT Well-Known Member

Folks,

Reading about the recent news about off the plan apartment or any other property type woe, I wonder if for some reason the buyer tries to sell it before it is fully completed ?

Is that possible scenario to sell it to another buyer ?

2. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

Yes it is possible but you will lose FHB concessions

AlbertWT likes this.
  3. AlbertWT

Yes, that's the possibility.
    But knowing & assuming that with OTP price will be appreciated after the property is built up, does it also attracts capital gain tax as well ?

4. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

My understandings is that If you are selling an OTP apartment before is built you still need to settle. Your settlement and your buyer settlement will occur at the same time (when building is ready) if you had a capital gain from that sell then you will pay CGT

AlbertWT likes this.
  5. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

Depends if the contract allows it. Generally it won't, unless the vendor consents. The purchaser can, however, nominate someone else to be the ultimate owner, but the purchaser is still on the hook legally for the contract to be completed.

6. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

list it as "purchaser and/or nominees" - lots of ppl did this for the glen waverely apts. Got a friend developing in hawthorn apartments and he accepts those.

7. House

House Well-Known Member

This is something that I'm considering of doing with my QLD OTP and hoping I can as my deposit would be put to better used elsewhere for the next 2.5 years.

I'd sell it for what I'm contracted for (under my own name) so guess I wouldn't be liable for CGT. But would I have to pay Stamp Duty too or is it paid by the new buyer upon settlement?

I haven't checked yet but in the contract there's probably a provision about the buyer being/not being allowed to on-sell before settlement. If it says I'm not allowed to do so, could I just ask the developer and hope they're happy to help?

Last edited: 1st Dec, 2015
  8. AlbertWT

@RM1827 but what if the price is actually lower than it was built ?

Do I get some tax break or even worst the bank will ask for more money before settlement to cover the gap ?

9. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

why would anyone want to transfer it across if it is lower priced unless there was some personal circumstances change