Trading Selling naked options

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Hodor, 23rd Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Bit of an interesting read for those considering naked options. OptionSellers threw $150m+ of investors money away (100%+ losses) in just a couple of days.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

James Cordier described the events (surge in natural gas prices) that led to all this as a "rogue wave" that couldn't be predicted. They reached such heady heights as hadn't been seen in almost five years with a single day gain not seen in close to a decade.

The whole thing is a bit much for my tiny brain to understand, IMO risk management probably should involve a strategy that won't potentially blow up your entire fund every decade.

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Capped gains, unlimited losses if unhedged - not a great strategy.

3. Kent Cliffe

Kent Cliffe Well-Known Member

4. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Would never sell naked calls, too risky, unlimited. I sell cash covered puts if my stock covered calls got exercised. Always covered. Has generally worked over the long term, sometimes a long time between trades though if a trend is in place. Maybe these robots put too much emphasis on probability rather than absolute risk.

5. Kent Cliffe

Call me a skeptic, but small consistent gains is easier to raise FUM than long tail asymmetric pay-off.

6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

7. Kent Cliffe

You're right, I probably should have made myself clearer. I wouldn't suggest these are black swan events, just the general concept of small consistent pay-offs vs unlikely high loss bets. The book does a good job of explaining this concept.

8. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Options are the dumbest US-only investing strategy I have ever seen - because they aren't allowed to use CFDs on their own market.

Set a CFD with a tight stop and graded profit takes in a fluid market (US/Euro/Japan) - avoids the gapping and limits strong after-hours movements.