Selling just the physical house

Discussion in 'Development' started by eggnog, 3rd Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. eggnog

eggnog Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried to sell just the physical house either on Gumtree or through a house removal company? Would like to know if it is worth it, the process you went through and what you ended up getting for the house. I have an old workers cottage in Brisbane with lots of character and recently renovated that I think would be very desirable and sellable as is. I'm thinking selling the physical house would be a better financial way rather than having to pay 20k odd to have it bowled over. But have never gone down this road before so would like to hear from those that have.

2. JKWS

JKWS Well-Known Member

Hey there,

Ive got some experience in this, not in Brisbane.. However its much muchness.

If the house is easy enough to move, you'll have the potential to sell it and make a small sum. 20k even in great condition sounds a little much as the houses get really damaged in the move process regardless. The other problem is access and restrictions to the pickup and roadway usage/ the red tape around this will be the next hurdle. Being in QLD you are lucky enough to have wider roadway restrictions compared to NSW and VIC so this is a positive.

Get in touch with a house removal company, they will take you for all its worth.. But at the end of the day, if you can get out of the 15k demo its a win! They will advertise on your behalf and try link a buyer, once the new buyer is under contract the house will be removed to the new location directly from your block.

Good luck

legallyblonde and Gockie like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Even if you get $0 ie "free house for removal", it is cheaper than the demo cost. Approach the house for removal mobs, provided that access is good, ie no trees, not below street level (or too high), no obstacles to get around, no power lines, underfloor access and house can be easily split or moved in one piece - then they may be interested.

legallyblonde, Luke T and VB King like this.
  4. eggnog

eggnog Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. Will definitely get in touch with some of the house removalist companies but would like to hear about peoples experiences before I do so I can go in prepared. Realistically I probably won't get anything for the house except free removal and i'm happy with that. I did a knock down just down the road previously which costed a bit (~20k) and i'm looking to do it a bit better (and more profitably) this time around. If it's possible to get just a little bit back for the house that would be a major win which I could offset against other expences like utilities installation, tree removal, site clearing...

If someone has actually done this and got something back, doesn't matter how small, I would really like to hear how you did it, who you used, the process, the quality of the house...

5. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

pm me the dimensions
    could be interested

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I have had a few clients allow someone else to demo and take the waste. Beats paying for a demolition when someone buys it !! Just ensure your keep records and address the tax issues as it is a tax issue.

Perthguy likes this.
  7. eggnog

eggnog Well-Known Member

Sorry for the late reply Gash. PM sent now.

Thanks Paul. Will keep in mind. Could be an avenue to pursue when its time to pull the trigger.

8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

9. eggnog

eggnog Well-Known Member

Hi Paul, could you elaborate on the tax issues? What effect does demoing a house have? Will definitely raise this with my accountant prior to demoing/removing.

10. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Noted. So it is probably easier to go with the 'free house + you pay for the removal strategy'... I am guessing this is a bit more straight forward!

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Only is limited circumstances can scrapping occur. A more likely scenrio is a loss or profit on sale as a realised asset sale occurs and this also has a CGT and tax impact.

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

This is exactly why personal advice is needed. This is not an area where people should try to DIY. It's too easy to get it wrong.

13. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

I have bought a removal house in the past still get regular emails from removal companies so there is definitely a market there, particularly if the house is renovated and has character features as you say. Plus it would be appealing for end customers to go direct from present site to new site rather than get parked up in a holding yard then onto new site.

Dimensions, floor plan and street appeal will heavily influence its demand. Often people are looking to slide a home onto a narrow site for splitter blocks etc. Also how many pieces it’s got to be cut into will be a factor. I think once you get over say 7 or 8 metres in width they need to be sawn in two and rejoined, so a double (or triple) shift is going to cost someone more to remove of course - but if the character is there, well you could get something more than free removal perhaps. You could get mucked around by tyre kickers though, so you need to make an assessment about the people you field enquiries from. Plus it will take time for buyer to get plans done and council approvals etc

Perthguy likes this.
  14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

They give them away usually, as SNM says it saves demo costs.

It costs quite a bit to move and then re connect etc, so would not be worth it for a dump of a place.