Selling fibro house on 3 acres

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Adelaide, 20th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Would you paint the fibro exterior or put weatherboard look over it?

Poll closed 3rd Sep, 2018.
  1. Paint the Exterior

57.1%
  2. Weatherboard look over it

14.3%
  3. Leave it as it

28.6%
  1. Adelaide

Adelaide Well-Known Member

Hi team,
    We are in WA - North Dandalup on 3 acres with 4 sheds and 3 paddocks. Clean block and has been great. Time to move on. Times are slow in property on acreage in the area.

The house was a transportable and fibro enclosed on the outside. Painted Green.

We are painting the inside and making it fresh and clean.
    Kitchen is a bit ordinary but painting it will give it a lift. Bathroom is already lovely.

The buyers will either buy it cause they love 'country charm' or because they will want to bulldoze and build brick and tile.

Would you be hiding the fibro behind a weatherboard look or just leave it as fibro? And if leaving it as fibro, would you paint it?

2. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

How green are we talking here?
    I would be inclined to paint if you think it will be kept and will see a better result.
    Suggest if you're painting the inside, sort of answers the question.

3. Adelaide

The green isn't a bad colour and I'd be happy to use the same colour. Fresh paint just has some pizzazz to it.

4. Adelaide

5. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

If you were going to paint, go a grey, but otherwise I don't really mind the colour. Paint looks like it's in good condition from the photo?

6. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Do it properly - remove the asworstos and place real weatherboards. I can’t speak for everyone but I’d run from a ‘clad’ house.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

What would the cost be v's value ?
    May be better to do nothing with cladding. At best a spray gun and loads of paint.

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I would expect that there would be a lot of houses in similar condition in the area.

If you went with cladding then the cheapest option would be Scyon Axon which is a vertical grooved look but comes in sheets so is a lot less labour than many of the horizontal board looks.

I'd use that or simply paint the house grey and white. Most buyers will be looking for a reasonably priced treechange or as you say buying it for the land with a free house.

DaveM likes this.