Selling Fees Melbourne 2018

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by jyeung80, 7th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

Have seen a few posts on selling fees but nothing all that recent for Melbourne metro.

I'm selling a unit/townhouse in the inner eastern suburbs of Melbourne (~12KM from the CBD). Should be able to sell for $1.3M+ based on recent comparable sales.

What should I reasonably expect to be paying in terms of selling fees?

The agent is charging 1.375% of sales price which seems pretty reasonable based on a quick Google search and some other posts here. Also comparable to a couple of other agents I've spoken to where the fees ranged from 1.1-1.5%.

However, the marketing fees seem very, very high. They are quoting $13.7K for marketing which includes the following:
    - 2 weeks in the Domain Review (print media) - $3.3K
    - Listing on the following websites: the agent's website, realestate.com.au, domain.com.au, view.com.au, juwai.com, acproperty.com.au - $6.3K
    - Photographer - $1K
    - Signage/boards - $1K
    - Brochures & info sheets - $500
    - Copywriter & marketing production fee (not sure what this is) - $1.5K

I wouldn't normally do print media but the unit is a single level home with no steps and very short walking distance to shops, cafes and transport so it's the perfect unit for an elderly person/couple (last 2 owners fell into this category). It even has handrails fitted in the bathroom. I was advised this type of buyer would likely still use print media rather than the internet. Even so, the prices for everything else seem extremely high.

2. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

careful with domain review as I assume you have gone with an agency who has a director who is part owner of it. It's worst than commission as if you don't sell they will make that money.

Your price range does not suit the review and assumption that oldies read it may not be entirely accurate. I only like looking at it weekly as it shows interesting properties out of the suburbs I generally look at on the websites.

3K would be better spent on staging and many