Technology & Social Media Selling collectables, vintage privately in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propin, 26th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Could anyone suggest if there is any Facebook selling sites, preferably auctions for various items - carnival glass, ceramics, figurines, wall vases, rare metal signs, number plates, ash trays, vases, collectAble toys, etc. Based Southside Brisbane. Thanks in advance!!

Whitecat likes this.
  2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Don't know any facebook sites ,but this auction outlet in Brisbane is good,depending if you sell or buy..
    Albion Antiques| Quality Antiques and Collectables

Propin likes this.
  3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

There is a FB group called 'Sydney retro recycle buy sell & swap'. I'm not sure how big the group is and what prices things go for.
    The best auction place for that stuff down here is Lawsons. They have a monthly (I think) auction for C20th stuff.

Propin likes this.
  4. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Looking to sell! Have sold a couple of items to Sydney as apparently Sydney has dried up on available items so may be worth taking a look @Depreciator. I'm guessing you are saying your suggestion is good for buying @willair ?

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You can join a Facebook group like Brisbane Vintage Retro Antique Cool & Collectable Buy and Sell, or Bulimba, Balmoral, Hawthorne & Morningside Local Group (wherever your live). Many people in the local groups want things really cheap, but things of decent value will be recognised as such.

Or All About Furniture Buy and Sell Brisbane FB group.

There is a FB group Antique Lovers Forum, but I think this isn't local to Australia (without checking).

The other place is Gumtree and try to ignore the tyre kickers.

If you don't know your prices, you could join Art Antique Valuations run by Steven Archer who has a long history and knows his prices. Others will jump in but he is the one who seems to know the most. He gives auction prices, private sale prices and seems to be very knowledgeable.

Once you have an idea what something is worth (and also check completed listings on eBay to check for yourself), then you have a good idea of what to ask.

I often list on a few local FB sell groups and say "listed elsewhere" so that if someone says "sold" on two sites, the first one is the first to honour.

You can also try FB marketplace, but I find this more annoyingly full of tyre kickers than Gumtree. Of course Ebay is always the obvious choice too.

Whitecat and Propin like this.
  6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Thanks @wylie. It's a shame there doesn't seem to be a FB auction site in Brisbane. Just about every second person I meet in Perth lately are moderators for FB sites. Maybe it's a bigger thing here. They have rare succulents auctions, bulk rubbish pick up auctions and retro auctions that I know of. Yes, I sold a lounge for $30 on the weekend and experienced the marketplace time wasters, eventually sold on a local page. Will keep EBay in mind, didn't think anyone used it anymore. Definitely need some prices, will look into it, thanks. We have sold a few things through the first site you mentioned - lots of dealers and Sydney buyers/dealers on that site. Only need to sell a few hundred more. Mt Gravatt area, I think we joined a site for that location too.

7. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

They seem to be quite a few Facebook groups that you can sell things on.
    I find they work reasonably well there are all the local groups like the 'Paddington surrounds buy sell and swap' and pretty much all other clusters of Suburbs with similar kind of named groups.
    I find Facebook quite easy to use to sell things on because you can post the same add to multiple groups and put it on the fb market place as well

Propin likes this.
  8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes it is ,most that buy there during the week either sell on gumtree ,or at the weekend flea markets around Brisbane and by the markup they would make a very good living if they know what they are doing..

Propin likes this.
  9. Icarus

Icarus Well-Known Member

@Propin - if you have anything vintage motorcycle related, I'm interested! :)

Otherwise, a good mate collects vintage video games and is very clued up on prices. He showed how to look up sold prices on eBay (going into the more options tab when you search for a particular item), to give you a bit more of an idea what to ask privately.

10. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Damn- sold the vintage Atari , used once PlayStation 1. I have a mini portable Atari (must be rare -haven't seen one before) but don't seem to have games so I'll dig it up .
    I'll find out. I know there was a lot of car parts, etc. are you interested in vintage toy motorcycles? I have a vague memory of one.

11. Icarus

Icarus Well-Known Member

Sorry, slow reply - escaped for the weekend!
    If you track down any games I'm sure that he'd be keen - he seems to have every console ever made, one of his bedrooms is completely dedicated to video games! Unbelievable, but very cool!

Would be keen on seeing the toy bikes, I don't collect them - but a few mates do, I can pass on pics/details etc.

12. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

There was a couple of Spider-Man on motorcycles that have been gifted. All the electronic games are gone. This is the one I have but I'm still checking it out. My son said the games were missing but I just looked up the manual and it says they are loaded in the console already. Will check it out some time in coming weeks! It appears brand new. IMG_4497.JPG

Icarus likes this.