Selling and can't get in contact with body corporate secretary

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Ben43, 9th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ben43

Ben43 Well-Known Member

Hi - I'm selling a property (vacant land on strata title) and the buyer is ready to exchange & settle, but my solicitor and I can't get in contact with the body corporate secretary to get a certificate as to current levies (showing all levies are up-to date).

It's been a week now. Is there any alternative or do we have to delay until we can get in contact?

2. Matthew Savage

Matthew Savage Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm a body corporate manager in Queensland.

If the site has a body corporate or strata management company, they have the delegated authority of the secretary. You generally don't contact the secretary personally, and if that is what you or your solicitor did then it is not surprising that there is no reply.

The information certificate about current levies is nearly always issued by the body corporate or strata management company directly, with no involvement by the actual secretary.

Matt

Stoffo and Terry_w like this.
  3. Ben43

Ben43 Well-Known Member

Thanks, but there is no body corporate / strata management company, only the neighborhood association. It's just a collection of blocks of land.

4. Matthew Savage

Matthew Savage Well-Known Member

Even in that case there is no manager? Does that mean the secretary personally issues the levy notices and does all the banking, financial reporting etc? What is on the invoices that you pay? Often even in those cases there is at least a baseline strata manager or equivalent who just deals with the financials.

Perhaps ask your solicitor to search the association and google its registered address for service to see if that gives any leads?

5. Ben43

Ben43 Well-Known Member

I normally get an email from the secretary saying I owe money for fees, and I transfer it into an account and email to say I've done that. I don't get an invoice or receipt.

Yeah.... it's pretty loose :)

Good news though I did manage to track down the secretary.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia