Selling a house in WA "as is"

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Linsey, 7th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Linsey

Linsey New Member

Hi
    I need to sell a slightly run down (but still liveable) house in WA - it's got termite damage for example - and there are also still some bits and pieces on the property (old tools for example).
    I just need to know whether it's possible to sell the house "as is", including all the bits and pieces left on the property and, if so, how that would be worded on the contract and the joint form of general conditions.
    Any advice would be great, because I'm really struggling to find info for WA!
    Thanks!
    Linsey

2. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Which suburb is this? There are a lot of Perthians on this forum and some are very knowledgeable and active. How bad is the house? Any photo or link? Just curious.

3. Linsey

Linsey New Member

It's out in the Wheatbelt, no photos currently, but definitely liveable, needs re-stumping but is sound, doesn't have a leaking roof or anything like that

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Selling at land value ? termites. mess, restumping sounds like a charmer. What is the agent opinion ? They have to market it and haggle on price

Agents offer these as "as-is" and renovator specials. And are usually upfront about what is needed. People on the land can be tolerant for condition but at a price. But it could just be a demo cost sitting on land. ie sell under land value.

5. Linsey

Linsey New Member

Def not just land value, it'd be great as a renovator property but just needs a fair bit of work. Agent I had previously was pretty happy to market it at $70k, and we got an offer for $59k, but then that fell through because the agent couldn't get the contract right (and other reasons). How would you sell "as is" though? Just remove the section about removing rubbish etc.?

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a “walk in, walk out” contract needed.
    Basically, what you see is what you get.

7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

You get your conveyancing solicitor to do the paperwork. Don't trust a real estate agent or even a settlement agent to do it correctly. And definitely don't try and do it yourself.

sanj, MTR, Westminster and 3 others like this.
  8. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

I agree. There are many properties sold by bailiffs on an "as is" basis where the prospective buyers don't even get a chance to view before they bid. I have attended many of these auctions and whilst I have never bought this way, I am sure their contracts would be similar.

9. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I’ve purchased a deceased estate ‘as is”.it was probably sold for $10,000 cheaper than other comparables, we were allowed to do a building inspection but not able to negotiate on it. I think it was a couple of thousand in repairs to guttering/boards needed. Grass was a metre high and a couple of kitchen cupboards were full of quality saucepans, English dining settings and cookware, 50 pot plants. There was a few unsavoury surprises also. Yes get your solicitor to go over it. I vagualy remember also someone tried to break in and slightly damaged property before settlement and the agent giving us a small amount of cash back.

10. fantail

fantail Well-Known Member

Although your property is rural and in a much different price range than one we sold in the southern suburbs of Perth a few years back I think it might be helpful to share our experience with considering selling "as is" vs repaired and renovated.
    Our property had been tenanted long-term and we hadn't had to spend much on it over the years but it had been left unclean and needing a lot of minor repairs - and had a lot of junk left in the shed and backyard.
    This was a small 3br, 1 bathroom house on a decent sized block, but too small for subdivision.

After the agent gave us his "guestimate" re. sale price "as is" he said it would probably be bought by a tradie who'd do the work pretty quickly. He also gave us a price guide if we did a reno/cosmetic makeover. There was about $40,000-$50,000 difference so we decided that we'd sell it renovated and styled (spend $25,000 and and take the bigger profit rather than let a tradie screw us re price and then make the $$$).
    We came over to Perth and spent a week there organising for someone to do the work + did a lot of the footwork re running around sourcing items.
    We ended up spending a bit more than estimated as we did outside as well as inside but then it sold relatively quickly to first home buyers who loved it.
    We certainly got our reno money back + some extra but in this case, the reno meant it attracted interest from people who competed with each other to buy it.
    Hope this info is somehow helpful.

*** We are in a similar situation right now but rather than hijack your thread re W.A.,, I'll start a new one - "selling renovated or "as is" in Brisbane"

Last edited: 8th May, 2021
    spoon likes this.
  11. EmmaCummings

EmmaCummings Member

Any property can be sold on an 'as is, where is' basis. Before the property is listed, you will need to provide your Real Estate Agent with an expressly worded special condition to that effect, to be included in the standard contract the agent hands out. The Agent's marketing campaign should also be done on as 'as is, where is' basis so Buyers know up front before they put in their offer.

12. pilbrob

pilbrob Well-Known Member

I’m not sure that’s entirely true, Emma. Most houses, yes. But not sure of the legality of “where is, as is” in this sort of situation:

House Floating Down Sydney Street Sells For $3 Million

;)

13. EmmaCummings

EmmaCummings Member

pilbrob - you got me there!
    Engaging journalism here: 'was said to be in need of ...... new foundations and land'.
    Sydney pricetags are unbelievable.

pilbrob likes this.
  14. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I would give Mel Dixon a call from MDH Legal and have a chat, she is a gun property lawyer and settlement agent as well.

15. EmmaCummings

EmmaCummings Member