selling a house in brisbane

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by ibanez01, 14th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ibanez01

ibanez01 Member

Hi All

I was wondering if someone can give me some advice on the best way to go about selling a house in Brisbane. I know some agents will overprice the property for business and some will underprice it for a quick sale. How to find the balance? Who to trust? What to do? any tips would be most useful as I haven't done this before.

Many Thanks
    Brian

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Look at recent comparables first. Go to opens for similar houses in the area. Basically act like your a buyer. What would you pay?

KayTea likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What suburb is the house in? You do need to look at what is for sale, what has sold recently to get a feeling for what it might be worth.

I'd go to local open houses and meet the agents. You should get a feeling for whether you like them and that way you can choose which agents to get through to give an appraisal with a view to listing the house.

I'd suggest don't fall into the trap of being talked into an auction, unless you have a fabulous house in high demand.

KayTea likes this.
  4. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Speak to few local agents, attending open homes, independent valuation (will cost few hundred dollors), try and get valuation from your bank and broker, recent sales/comparables ...

That together could lead to fairly decent idea ...

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sometimes the best first step is employ a Solicitor and have a quick talk about the process,they would also be able to explain where to have the property valued ,and if they are a high volume then they would know the Agents that sell within your properties area ..Brisbane covers a large area ,it may help if you explain which area the property is located ..imho..
    Just look up the name ..RPI they would be one that would explain everything on Brisbane sales ..

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Get 3 or 4 local agents in to do a written comparative analysis and from that give you an idea of what your house will sell for. Ask each to justify their opinion and how they arrived at their valuation.

Go to realestate.com.au and search your locality for similar properties, on the “for sale” page. Order in price from low to high, and compare the properties around your quoted price range to give you a good idea of how yours will compare to others available for sale. Yours should be a bit better than those priced more cheaply, and those priced higher should be a bit better than yours.

Then go to the “sold” page to see prices actually being achieved.

This should give you a good idea of what sale price you can realistically expect.
    Marg

Phineas, Sackie and wylie like this.
  7. ibanez01

ibanez01 Member

thanks for all the useful tips. problem is i don't live in Brisbane. I'm selling interstate so I can't do anything

8. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Reports can be sent by email. Might be worth flying there for a weekend to check out opens.

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Makes it harder but not by much. I rarely enter a house when I'm comparing properties to try to pin down what ours may be worth. You can use reatestate.com.au (which is what I mostly use) and ksou (just type ksou into search engine) for past sales (there are other sites for past sales too).

You've not said what Brisbane suburb. You'll likely get recommendations if you mention the suburb.

Or pay $400 and get it valued. The valuer will give you comparables (may even be the same comparables you'll get from an agent), but the valuer has no reason to "buy" your listing like some agents might do by telling you it is worth more than it really is.

Load the BOQ app into your phone and type in your property. It gives you basic details and does provide comparables (but don't rely too much on them).

10. ibanez01

ibanez01 Member

Thanks very much. The house is in Crestmead. Any recommendations on real estate agents I could contact?

11. Carol_Pth

Carol_Pth Member

Try this website, Im just going through the same process. I did ask the guy how he got paid and said once the agent gets the go ahead from the seller and a sale if the outcome, then they get paid a commission. Find and Instantly Compare the Best Agents In Your Area - Which Real Estate Agent

12. ibanez01

ibanez01 Member

Thanks very much Carol. I'll check it out.

13. Joker

Joker Active Member

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.