Sellers Contact Details

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Macgyver, 28th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Macgyver

Macgyver Member

Hi,

I have found that many contracts handed out by agents are missing contact details for the seller, and in some cases have no sellers solicitor stipulated either. If this contract is signed, and the buyer decides not to come forward with a solicitor or contact details, where is the buyers solicitor going to send notices? Say for example, to terminate with the qld cooling off period? or due to building and pest?

Thanks.

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

The solicitor’s details will be provided once there is an offer and acceptance and contracts signed or about to be signed.

The selling agents keep these details off the contract to prevent buyers approaching the vendor or their solicitor directly and cutting out the agent.

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Macgyver

Macgyver Member

I have found that many contracts handed out by agents are missing contact details for the seller, and in some cases have no sellers solicitor stipulated either. If this contract is signed, and the seller decides not to come forward with a solicitor or contact details, where is the buyers solicitor going to send notices? Say for example, to terminate with the qld cooling off period? or due to building and pest?

I'm imagining a scenario where the seller waits until the B&P period has expired and then comes forward with contact details.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

To the agent

5. Macgyver

Macgyver Member

The contract is between me and the seller, I doubt notices can be given to the agent.

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I don't practice property law, but under the laws of agency, it could be. You should read the contract first and then speak to a property lawyer.

Macgyver likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The agent is the vendor's representative. In absence of a solicitor, the agent is your point of contact and has more interest in stoppiing the deal going off the rails.

8. Macgyver

Macgyver Member

Thank you for your replies. I will eventually end up asking a solicitor, but in the meantime its an interesting question. The QLD REIQ contract seems quite clear that notices need to be given to seller or their solicitor at the contact details defined in the reference schedule.

There was also a recent case in Victoria, but i suppose that has not application in QLD.
    https://www.turkslegal.com.au/files...-real-estate-agentpdf/download?token=KnO2Lhme

Attached Files:

9. Macgyver

Macgyver Member

Thanks Terry, the laws of agency may come into play here. I'll have to confirm with a local Solicitor.

Terry_w likes this.
  10. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

If I were acting in this case, notice would be given to the agent, posted to the property address and sent to any other known addresses. There is essentially zero chance a Court would not hold this to be a valid termination where the Seller has not provided any notice details.

Terry_w likes this.