Sell a house to yourself?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Brendon, 11th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

I currently have a property which falls into the 6 year CGT exemption as I lived in it for a period before renting it out I want to capitalise on the exemption but at the same time I think it is a property that will do well over a long period of time.

My question is, Is there anyway I can sell this property to myself (or otherwise my partner)

The bonus for this would be that I can cash in on the gains the property has already made and effectively recycle the debt to release cash for a PPOR whilst keeping all debt deductible.

For example
    purchase price $200k
    Current val $400k
    Original loan $160k

New purchase $400k
    New loan $320k

Cash freed up $160k

Stamp duty would have to be paid I imagine but if the numbers worked is there anything stopping me doing this?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Where have you been living since you rented it out?

Cant sell to yourself. To a partner, maybe. Is it worth the stamp duty?

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You can't sell to yourself, but you can sell to another entity, including a spouse. I have written a few tips on this in the tax and legal section.

Brendon likes this.
  4. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

I've just been renting a room off mates, haven't bought another PPOR

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You could move back in, establish it as your PPOR again and then move out and another six years starts.

Buying another PPOR will change things but I'm not sure how. Someone else will be along to fill us in I'm sure.

Archaon likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Selling to an entity loses the CGT main residence exemption. Selling to another person needs to consider if BOTH of you satisfy the MRE. And if its an avoidance issue (likely). Tax advice is suggested as it seems a concern

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.