Sell a commercial property or keep it?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by shootingfish, 21st Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shootingfish

shootingfish Well-Known Member

I have a small commercial ground floor retail/office shopfront on a busy street in Melbourne inner metro

The loan is a tiny $280000 on it, currently rented below market at about $20000p/a and market rent is $35000.

Value I've been told is $500-580k.

If we're assuming rental yield 6-8% the above value is somewhat correct.

We are developers and are generally pretty capital intensive - the property above is not cross collateralised.

Should I just sell and get the profit and equity back about $200k after tax or just keep and get the 10% rental with new tenant? (I would be paying about $76000 tax)

It's hard to use this building as equity as it's regarded as commercial and a real pain for valuations. Council valuation is $400k. Have used this for resi loans before and it's a headache with little equity gain.

or is there another way to get an advantage with a loan on this?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

If you sold and had capital back could you make a better return?

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Will you get $35k/yr+gst + outgoings (on a 3-5 year lease) if you leveraged the $200k?

Would you qualify for the same loan if you didn't have the CIP?

'It's a pain for valuations' - so you mean that you have to pay a valuer as it costs more than a couple of hundred dollars?

I regularly have to commission vals which cost over $2k on land worth very little ie <$1000, however if I didn't (thus saving the community $100,000's) I could end up in gaol for not seeking the best outcome even though common sense tells you what it's worth.

Last edited: 21st Aug, 2017
  4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

So essentially you have a cash cow :D

I'd up the rent a reasonable amount to pay the principal down.

The increase in income and reduction of loan principal should increase your serviceability for other projects :cool:

By the time you sell and pay various costs and tax you'd have nearly $200k, not much for anything really :rolleyes:

Unless you have a major project on the horizon that you require an injection of funds for, in that case sell ;)

Scott No Mates likes this.
  5. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Why is it 15k under market rent?
    How did that even happen? I see little way you could get the existent tenant to pay a whopping $288 weekly rental increase.
    You will likely need to vacate them and then get all the costs that come along with getting a new tenant.

With that said it's an absolute cash cow. I wouldnt ever be selling something like that. What would you do with the 200k that could generate that kind of income?

6. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Fix the rent situation, potentially release equity on the property up to ~75% LVR if your numbers stack up.

In terms of selling vs keeping - balance out what happens in both scenarios and which gets your a better ROI - no point selling if long term the steady burn of the CIP works in your favour, OR if you can spin those funds a lot further with developing it may well be worth selling.