Selfwealth Vs Superhero Vs Alternatives

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by Big A, 11th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gav

Gav Well-Known Member

Thx - I'm not really up to speed on the heartbeat trades, they seem to track each other pretty well, as attached, VTS as you suggested has a slight edge....

Attached Files:

• vts.PNG
      vts.PNG
      File size:
      308.2 KB
      Views:
    ASXGJ1 and oracle like this.
  2. nofriends

nofriends Well-Known Member

How long did your holdings transfer take in the end?

@ASXGJ1
    you seem to be overthinking it, I'd just do VGS for international (and chill)

in fact that's what I'm doing, but also somewhat regrettably have NDQ and VAE which I wouldn't mind offloading and swapping for VGS if my CGT position permits

Back on topic:
    got my invite this morning and registered with stake beta, my place was 1500+

Funding works within 10 mins from nab

3. Hockey Monkey

Hockey Monkey Well-Known Member

Heartbeat trades avoid internal capital gains being passed on to investors boosting after tax performance. They are a US thing, so cannot be utilized by Vanguard Australia in VGS

How 'Heartbeat Trades' Are Boosting ETF Returns

ASXGJ1 and Gav like this.
  4. Hockey Monkey

Still in progress after three rejections of my ID and signature. They are very picky

5. nofriends

Signature? I thought is was a paperless experience!

Would that be Stake who is picky or the previous broker you're trying to transfer from?

6. Hockey Monkey

you sign a piece of blank paper and take a photo

nofriends likes this.
  7. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

You are right but I lose every time I don't overthink so probably more like psychological thing for me :(

Checkout VGS, VAS, VTS, IVV & VDHG. Capital gain on VTS and IVV is unmatchable to my knowledge but the risk factor is also high significantly as it purely depends upon US market.

Now, my observation over last 2 year is that the australian market falls at same or worst speed when US market falls so not sure what this fuzz about diversification when both going to fall at sametime .... :(

another note: does any know how to add chart into comment box ?

Attached Files:

8. Hockey Monkey

very little can be learned from a 2 year period. Random noise drowns out any expected return

Why not just invest everything in the US market? — Passive Investing Australia

ASXGJ1 likes this.
  9. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

looks like author of the website you provided thought about my argument :

But in a US market crash, the whole world crashes, so diversification outside the US doesn't help
    Over short periods during a crash, yes, the whole world crashes with the US, so in that sense, diversification may not provide a benefit, but over more extended periods, stock markets tend to correlate more closely to the economy of the country, and for some periods the US outperforms, and some periods other countries outperform the US, and it is during these longer stretches where diversification helps. You just need to avoid focusing narrowly on one part of the economic cycle to see it.

This is why the often-cited argument that there has been an increase in the correlation of global stocks over time is misleading — because while the global stock market tends to move up and down in the same direction, correlation ignores the differences in magnitude between different markets over time.

However, the point I was trying to make was that when US falls everything falls that is true as per the author as well but what author explaining here is that during certain period of economic cycle other country market can outperform US market which I understand but I am trying to say that even though other market perform better then US that doesn't mean America market is going backward. one probably miss better opportunity by not diversifying but certainly loss of capital is lower if it is passive index funds.. IMO.

10. Gav

Gav Well-Known Member

All markets go through cycles of out and underperformance. In the attached chart you can see the relative performance of the US vs the rest of the world.
    Since 2010 the US has massively outperformed, but the decade before was the opposite.
    This decade of outperformance has left the US market very expensive, with a CAPE ratio of 37 (cyclically adjusted PE ratio). Australia as a comparison is at 21. This means the US market could fall 40% odd and have the same valuation as Australia. Doesent mean its going to, nobody knows what the future holds , which is why we diversify, and rebalance. (and dont chase outperformance)

Not sure if I helped at all....

Attached Files:

ChrisP73, Big A and nofriends like this.
  11. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

I finally got my number with stake and it was around 5000 mark.... ! hopefully transfer of portfolio goes smoothly from @SelfWealth ..!

nofriends likes this.
  12. rizzle

rizzle Well-Known Member

Those who have done a porfolio transfer (into stake ASX), let me know how it goes. I'm still too nervous to migrate my portolio across on such a new product.

13. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

I put a request in so let you know once it's rolled over but i think @Hockey Monkey already transferred his/her?

14. Hockey Monkey

My transfer has gone through as confirmed by updated HIN in ComputerShare and Link Market Services. Strangely I can still see the holdings in SelfWealth under the old HIN. I assume they will disappear shortly.

rizzle and ASXGJ1 like this.
  15. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Just received an email stating that self wealth are offering free brokerage on all ETF buys till Jan 4th 2022.

16. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

by the way how many days it took from the date of submitting request to transfer to actually transferred into your stake account from the day they accepted your signature and ID?

17. Hockey Monkey

not exactly sure. They accepted my signature on Monday and I noticed the shares appear over the weekend, so less than a week.

ASXGJ1 likes this.
  18. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

those who are as excited as me, just to let you know that one key difference between stake and self-wealth that i just discovered is that there is no online chat option with stake and the company don't provide you phone number to call them so basically you will be at the mercy of god... !

i transferred all my stocks now and then realise there is no one i can talk to about the issue if i had one.. ! :( so probably those with multi-million dollar platform stake won't be the go to broker for sure... IMO.

Also, I can't see market depth in stake so another negative compare to selfwealth.

@rizzle

rizzle likes this.
  19. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

HM did you gave your TFN to stake? they told me that they don't keep TFN on file but does it mean they will withhold tax on buy & sell or dividend? any info?

20. nofriends

you can't have it all for 3 dollars can you, something's gotta give o_O

you would have to update your TFN with the share registry

I've transferred a couple of Vanguard ETFs and even though I had an account with Computershare I still had to update TFN info for holdings under the new HIN

Btw a data point on broker to broker transfer to Stake - submitted midday Monday, completed by COB Wednesday, 2 days turn around, not bad I thought. The only issue so far is the cost base didn't carry across despite putting one in the transfer request.

ASXGJ1 likes this.