self investing super options and tax deductions query.

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Timkot, 30th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Timkot

Timkot Active Member

Hi folks when starting an SMSF the costs of running such fund can be claimable, such as investment/trading courses, software etc.

Various funds such as Qsuper have a self investment section where you do your own buying and selling of shares etc. Are investment/trading courses , software etc also claimable when using self investing inside a regular super fund as distinct from an actual SMSF.

thanks

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The SMSF can claim its investment costs. It likely also needs to pay these. Courses etc would NOT be deductible and likely be a concern. You are thinking the SMSF is you. Probably more a sign the trustee lacks skills to self manage investments.

Software ? To trade ?? That also may or may not be a concern.

The SMSF or fund claims the costs not member. A member cannot claim any costs of investing instructions on their super account in a smsf or any other fund. They dont incur any costs. The trustee does. Its like insurance in super. Its not deductible to a member since the trustee pays it.

3. Timkot

Timkot Active Member

Thanks Paul, just wanted to make sure, I was aware that personally I could not claim, I am aware that the trustee can do share trading courses buy software etc and the fund will reimburse as those things are for the smsf. I was just seeing if self investing though a super fund would would or could be 'claimable' in some way as its self directed, but you have answered the question. thanks