Health & Family Self Improvement. What works. What doesn't.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by bamute, 9th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Healthy diet works for me

2. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

Does a healthy diet including cutting out dairy ???
    I always thought we needed milk ?

3. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Do a bit of Googling on the subject, see what info you can find (check who funds the studies you read too). Dairy is not great for you, there are far better alternatives and it's a horrid industry for the cows and calves.

4. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

@MyDarlinghurst

This is one of those “question everything” moments I was talking about…

Really stop and look at what milk is and why we drink it then do some research and draw your own conclusion.

This is the path I went down and my thoughts…..

We are the ONLY mammal that drinks the milk of another species, doesn’t that seem weird when you think about it?

In the course of human history, we have only been drinking milk for a minuscule amount of time, which is why something like 75% of the world population is lactose intolerant (I forget the actual stats but it is way up high around there)

Why do we consume gallons of cows milk yet would think it completely insane to drink dogs milk, or even human milk (which is actually designed for us). I’ll answer that one… cow’s have a big yield which equals more profit!

We are the only species that drinks milk beyond the age of weening. All other mammals are weaned off their mother’s milk as infants.

I like this one, cows milk is designed to take a new born calf to a 400kg cow. It’s full of IGF1 growth hormone (linked to cancer). People wonder why they can’t control their weight when they’re drowning there cereal in milk and guzzling latte’s all day that are essentially liquid cow growth formula, full of natural growth hormones (and not to mention that 75% of the worlds anti biotics produced are used in the livestock industry as prophylactics).

Yes, milk is full of calcium, but it’s also full of other things (sorry, I forget the science but it’s out there if you do a bit of reading), that leach calcium from your bones. The net result is the populations with the highest osteoporosis figures are also the biggest dairy consumers. There are much better ways to get your calcium.

That’s just the health aspects, there’s also the huge environmental impact and the animal welfare side of it too. Cows are playful and social, we lived near a dairy farm to hear the mother cows cry for days and run along the fence line looking for their babies is heartbreaking (yes, what they don’t teach you in school when you were told cows make milk from grass is that they only do that once they’ve given birth). They carry for 9 months, their babies are taken away and they are milked. Repeat that every year or so for 5-7 years then the mums are slaughtered for checop meat once they’ve been milked out. Baer in mind, a cow can live up to 20 years.

As for the calves, the females end up back in the system but the males are a “by product”, either slaughtered straight away for hamburger meat or dog food or kept in a confined “veal” crate and slaughtered for veal for restaurants. You realise veal is just clever marketing? It’s not a fancy high end restaurant food, it’s a way of using the redundant waste products of the dairy industry (i.e. male calves).

Bugger, I’ve ranted on again, sorry… all this info is out there once you start looking, the crazy thing is, the science has been around for 40 years but the agricultural lobbyists have been so good and looking after their bottom line we’ve been conditioned to believe the things that make them the most money. The amazing thing is the social media platforms and todays younger generations are not taking in everything they are told, they are a generation of questioners and these issues are now gaining some critical momentum. Milk sales are down massively this year and plant based milk sales are going through the roof, change is in the air.

I highly recommend a book called The China Study by T Colin Campbell, very enlightening but if TV is more your thing then hit Netflix and watch Food Inc, Forks Over Knives, Cowspiricy and What the Health (probably in that order I’d say).