Selecting builder for first construction

Discussion in 'Development' started by docplus, 19th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Vic

2. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Some builders look more expensive initially as they include everything. The ones that have a cheaper initial price call everything an "upgrade". I know that some builders define top cupboards in a kitchen as upgrades.

You will find that different people will have a different opinion on builders and the people who work for each company. While I think it's worth asking for comment on build quality and turnaround time, each person's personality defines the relationship with the people they come in contact with and their opinion of them.

With Fowler we picked a floor plan and we did a few tweaks to fit the site. Every time we spoke with them they lifted the price or told me that some items were omitted.

I've done an interstate build where I just chose the floor plan and the builder gave me 6 different colour combos to choose from. Once I gave them that number, the contract was drawn up. I paid a set fee to have all of the extras included. Apart from fencing, two pieces of wood for a retaining wall and a bit of concrete to sit an air con unit on, I had no additional costs. Was a great way to build if you don't want any input to the design process and a transparent pricing. On the other hand if you want to choose everything yourself, go with a company that advertises the lowest price for pretty much a shell with concrete floors and go for it on selections.

Unless you're up-specing you'll pay pretty much the same for all builders in the end.

3. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

4. Zammy

Zammy Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just going thru this forum and I am on the same boat deciding on a private building inspector.
    who do you recommend?