Selecting air conditioning - 4 Unit development.

Discussion in 'Development' started by Oylan, 10th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Oylan

Oylan Member

Hey ,

Just wondering what people normally do for a unit development in terms of air con?

We are building 4 units - 2 story.

The initial quotes of around $35k for ducted I thought was too much.

I was thinking of my self walking through the first houses I ever looked at and basically if I saw a split system I probably would of thought "It has aircon" ... end of story.

- How fussy are buyers going to be? What options do people normally go for?
    - If we put a split system downstairs in main area and a split in master bedroom will they care if the 2 other rooms don't have one?

This is basically what I think we would need to do the living area and master bedroom.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I would be able to install all the manual/electrical bits myself and get an air con guy round to gas it up etc. Saving us around $17k. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

It depends on the price range of the properties but split systems in the living and master is ‘standard’ in low-mid range.

Oylan likes this.
  3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're at least building double storey 3x2s, so unless its some really low price bracket units you're doing, it seems pretty odd that you want to skimp on proper air con to do more work yourself and save 17k.

4. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Looks like you have cheaped out so they better be cheap ;) Many buyers would just spin on their heels.....for many others, you have devalued the value of the development more than significantly more than the value of the saving. Of course depends on market / price point.

5. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Why don't you do some research and find out what your competition is, check other developments like yours and see what air con they have. At the end of the day you're competing against the sales of other similar properties new and old, so it pays to know what you're up against.

6. Chase71

Chase71 Well-Known Member

If your going to run an 8kw outdoor multi split you might as well run 4 heads off it.

2.0+2.0+2.0+7.1 is the maximum connection ratio.
    You will only every get 8kw total capacity. If you run all 4 heads at the same time you will get reduced capacity across all head that equals 8kw. If you only run say 2 units out of the 4 then you will get full capacity out of a 5kw & 2kw (= less then 8kw)

If you only want to connect 2 units you can use the 3MXS52LVMA9.(smaller unit)

Multi's you can run close to 200% indoor to outdoor capacity.
    Things to remember with Multi splits
    is that all unit are in cooling or heating mode. Cant have half cooling and half heating (Not possible). First unit switched on selects the mode unless you set the priority switches.
    Many options available for apartment's
    Indoor: splits, ducted., bulkheads, floor console
    Outdoor: Single splits, Ducted , Multi splits , VRV-S

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I think $34k (inc installation?) is a pretty good price for ducted for four double storey houses.

If you want to get a quote from my air con guy sing out and see if you can get it any cheaper.

As others have said it does depend on the end values. It can be easier to cool a single level villa with 2 splits than a double storey house. But yes just having 2 splits can be an option if the area is low to mid.