Selecting a tenant single mother with existing broken lease and police incident

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Paws of Fury, 9th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Yep,
    It sounds like youre not desperate,
    So if she cant even adjust by a few days, sounds like a drama queen and she hasnt even signed the dotted line yet

Instant flick

wylie likes this.
  2. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

With a single salary of 100k, I personally wouldn't approve an application for a rental over about $600/week especially for someone with dependents

Paws of Fury and TMNT like this.
  3. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Might be getting some CSA?

4. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

Why did the PM even mention that the applicant was indigenous? That seems weird an irrelevant to me. Aren't the relevant facts all about an applicant's income, rental history etc?

Joynz likes this.
  5. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

That all seems strange to me. Is the applicant a friend of the PM and they are trying to help her find a place? If there are no problems with her then there shouldn't be anything to hide. She would actively want you to know the details of the police report because knowing the details would make it obvious that it was a misunderstanding. She would be honest and upfront about it.

I don't understand the privacy issue either. Isn't she applying to the landlord via the PM? Isn't the application form for you? What is the point of the application form if its contents are hidden from the person who needs those details to make a decision? If you were self managing you would get the application form directly anyway.

Weird all round.

Paws of Fury likes this.
  6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

no idea, but I prefer to know these sorts of things

politically incorrect it may be , but the agent was also going from their personal experience with indigenous tenants

7. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

Once when buying a house, the agent made a point of telling me that the vendor was Indian. I still to this day have no idea why he told me that or what he meant by it. I'm guessing it was an issue of his personal experiences too, but I am still confused as to what he was trying to tell me?

Joynz likes this.
  8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

maybe a hidden room full of great cheeses, wine and sauces :)

9. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

Hahaha!

10. Paws of Fury

Paws of Fury Active Member

That prospective tenant has been rejected and agent is being rude and strange. Regardless, we have directed them to do the second open this Saturday hopefully we'll secure some decent tenants. Will push the agent to reveal all financial details etc for us to make an informed decision and not fool us with more privacy non-sense. Big thanks to everyone here for your suggestions. Cheers :)

Kassy likes this.
  11. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Nine groups to the first open home and agent is pushing you hard to accept a very average applicant who wants to move in a MONTH and wont compromise at all? That seems crazy to me. I could see them pushing for an 'acceptable' applicant if there was a small pool of enquiry, but not so early into advertising with positive market indications.

It's not irregular for agents to provide pretty basic summaries of the applicants, but worrying that they wouldn't answer your questions. Perhaps they were concerned you'd discriminate based on her racial background? More likely they were being lazy and hadn't done the research needed to answer your questions. It's very common for agents to think they can't provide full paperwork for privacy reasons, but there's absolutely no reason we can't provide relevant facts drawn from the documentation.

12. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Time for a new Agent! :)

Tom Rivera likes this.