Seepage under retaining wall

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Cher, 14th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cher

Cher New Member

I have a property with a retaining wall at the edge of the patio area. When I bought the property the land behind us was a dairy farm and almost level to our back fence. The land was bought by a developer. It was someones bright idea to build a road well above the level of the land and then back fill to the fence lines in our street. The land now has houses built on it and apparently inter-allotment easement drains installed to take runoff and stormwater. Unfortunately, in heavy rain, the water from the home behind does not hold the water and we flood at our patio level. I can't get any satisfaction from council who say it is not their problem. The actual water gets away quite well due to a good drainage down the side of the house but the seepage and damp stay around. I think I will have to lift the pavers and put drainage under them. I will attach a photo or two. I hope someone can give me some advice. Thank you 20180626_114515.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

This is only a guess, not true engineering, OK?

We had a similar issue many years ago, with a neighbour filling up on the other side of our lower land and not putting in any draInage on their side.. So I am experienced in this.

Would it be suitable to dig a rubble drain just inside your back fence and continue it along the inside of your side boundaries, out to the front.

3. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

Like you say you might have to lift pavers add drainage and replace which is no fun . First i would check the existing drain, see that water is getting away properly, perhaps replace that drain with a larger one would be an easier job.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

This' ll help - linky

5. Cher

Cher New Member

Thank you to everyone for input. I will certainly be looking at all ideas. We could do the rubble drain but not sure how deep we would need to go, perhaps a metre.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The drainage for the steel roof straight onto the pavers needs to be addressed.

Why not connect it and the black drain that runs across wall and pavers to stormwater at the rear of the house ?

Pavers themselves shouldnt hold water unless the pavers are not laid on suitable materials and also poor surface runoff (to side or to that drain? that should then run to stormwater). You shouldnt need to put drainage under pavers if they are correctly laid.

Also consider a narrow trench between grass and retaining wall. Ag pipe in sock and recycled concrete that runs to the side. Fill and replace turf strip. The apparent run off pipe that sticks out on ramp seems an admission of retention of water and not a adequate drain behind the wall. Low cost solution but hard work digging. Get a small excavator with 100mm trench and its a 20min job.

Last edited: 18th Sep, 2018
  7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Depends on the ground,but ivé found 750mm x 500 works very well in black soil -or just expand the storm water inlets..imho..

8. Cher

Cher New Member

The black drain runs straight into the stormwater drain which can't be seen in the photo. There is also another stormwater drain at the side of the house and they all connect. I really do think I need to do something about the pipe running from the metal roof. In heavy rain the water does splash out of that pipe. Also ag pipe drain sounds a good idea. I have thought about taking up the black drain that runs across the front of the retaining wall and putting ag pipe along there about a metre deep then a larger storm water drain similar to what is there already only larger. I really appreciate all the information coming my way. Thank you.