Seems that Chinese influence is everywhere

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Handyandy, 30th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. devank

devank Well-Known Member

One good thing though.
    We are the only large English speaking country, who doesn't have much Corona issue.
    Hopefully, this might shift students from UK and US to Aus.

charttv likes this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I hadn't thought of it like that

devank likes this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I've no issue with full fee paying students from overseas, but it shouldn't be a back door to immigration. They come with their student visa, and go home when they've finished their courses. If they want to immigrate, then they apply like everyone else, & IF we have positions for people with their qualifications, they might be allowed to immigrate.

4. devank

devank Well-Known Member

They still apply right? I thought they get extra points for having an Australian degree/masters.

5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

It’s pretty obvious that the Chinese influence has been in Oz for a very long time.

Back in the gold digging days it started I’d say. Then their restaurants popped up in every suburb and country town throughout Australia.

Peking duck, Mongolian lamb, Garlic King Prawns to name a few gastronomical delights. And what about their prawn chips! They toss them in for free with orders over $30.

Throw in a couple of ales and a few tokes (of a cigarette) and you’ll swear an image of Chairman Mao is emerging from the red wallpaper.

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Well, perhaps New Zealand, if 4.8 million is regarded as large. Coronavirus deaths and cases in Australia are similar to those of NZ per capita.

So NZ could possibly be a destination of choice.

7. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I intentionally used the word 'large' to avoid NZ :)

8. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

And English speaking.:D

datto, Someguy, KateSydney and 2 others like this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Making me hungry

datto likes this.
  10. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

You get what you pay for! Academic version! :p

Someguy, Lizzie and skater like this.
  11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the process is, but there should be no 'extra points' for where you have studied unless it's for a job that is hard to fill.

12. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

Its very hard to get permanent residency just from studying and it is becomming harder.

Lizzie likes this.
  13. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

From reading the SMH this morning 'Everything on the Table' the universities have finally realised the need for change and the river of money from Asian students will decrease. Will mean hard times for the Universities but hopefully make for better outcomes for the staff and students.

skater and Lizzie like this.
  14. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Why not? They have spent a few years already in Australia. They have an Australian qualification. Surely, that's worth extra points.
    If we think our quality of education is good then surely these kids are valuable.

random, Someguy and New Town like this.
  15. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Marriage helps. Probably easier for female students though but then they seem to be the majority

16. willister

willister Well-Known Member

The 80's would have had a smattering of international students from SE Asia - presumably most from Malaysia and Sinagpore. China was barely off the ground in the 80s reforms wise, so people could barely have fed/clothes themselves sufficiently before looking at something as expensive as an overseas education.

I went to uni from 2000 to 2002 and I'd say the majority of the International population was from Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Hong Kong and a few from Taiwan. There were some from China but barely and oddly I saw the odd Vietnamese overseas student but again very rare.

It was quite sad to learn some of the overseas students pretty much lived in squalid conditions. You'd get the majority of them coming from wealthy backgrounds and clearly were spoilt but there were some whose entire future depended on this education piece. There was a girl in my class who told me her family had financed her education through borrowing from relatives in the hope they could stay in Australia. She lived in the cheapest accommodation she could find and ate the cheapest food you could buy.

random and charttv like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia