Seems i got it wring in Water usage to the tenant

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 5th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

IIRC the RTA only applies to leases <3 years.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

But a residential lease cannot go over two years, can it? I'm not sure as I've never issued a longer lease than 12 months(ish).

3. wylie

And thinking further, what residential tenant would agree to sign a three year lease (if it takes it out of the residential arena) and also agree to pay rates, water infrastructure charges? Wouldn't they move to the next house without those onerous and costly clauses that penalise them, when the house next door doesn't have them.

4. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

Looks like a worthwhile thread. The (personal) criticism towards OP is/was unwarranted.

Darlinghurst Boy likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

@wylie - security of tenure. Many tenants want to move closer to schools etc for 5-6 years without fear of vacation notice.

The Defence Housing leases are a commercial based 10 year residential lease.

Chilliblue likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

No - it's just been hijacked.

No Probs and Skilled_Migrant like this.
  7. wylie

But with normal residential houses, who is going to go for the three year lease (if it is even allowed for a residential property) and pay rates, water infrastructure? I cannot imagine any situation where there are two houses and they would choose to pay costs over not paying them?

We are not talking Defence Housing leases here. That is very different.

8. Scott No Mates

Does it mean that the tenant is going to be paying more rent? No (the rent should be lower). BUT they'll be paying (or reimbursing the outgoings) - if market rent tanks but insurances/sewer/rates etc skyrocket you don't lose out & the tenant is on a lease for the contracted period.

9. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

@wylie I have one in NSW with community housing and they are one 3 year leases with rental increases detailed and 3 other tenants on 2 year leases with the annual increases nominated.

As to @Darlinghurst Boy posts, whilst they may seem trivial to us older investors who have been around the block, there would be soon to be / new investors who would thinking along the the same lines so a little consideration to those people when answering could go a long way.

10. Scott No Mates

KayTea and Chilliblue like this.
  11. wylie

Is the community housing lease a normal lease, or specific to that entity? I'm thinking more for your garden variety residential lease. I just cannot imagine anyone agreeing to sign up to pay for water infrastructure and rates when they can rent the house next door or next street without it. I believe it cannot be done a normal residential lease, but I'm only going by what I've read on here. I think two years is the maximum lease I could write (but happy to be wrong).

I don't even like two year leases. Things can change a lot in two years and even with a rental increase written in, you could still find yourself too low and have to wait a long time to play catch up.

12. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Community housing is a specific lease. They were a tenant that I inherited several ago and they have been one of my best to date.

As to the 2 year tenants, all have a minimum 3-5% increases and so far no lease has been behind in the market rate at the end of their terms and we have not had to pay any leasing fees. These tenants are what my partner calls "lifers" and are making my IP their home which means I have great tenants looking after my properties.

They are also the ones that I have less issues with.

13. wylie

So, it would be interesting to hear from the legal people on here whether a solicitor writing a clause in a normal residential lease is doing the wrong thing by writing in that the tenant pays the water infrastructure charges, plus water usage plus rates?

And I guess I don't pay leasing fees, so I don't have to take that into account. But I understand it is a consideration if using a PM.

14. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

It would be nice if this happened in QLD. I've had to pay the whole bill, then get the property manager to contact the tenants, so that I can be reimbursed for their water usage. Let's just say it's not going so well. The bill I paid, in full, in January is still waiting for reimbursement, and the tenants are 'crying poor'.

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

16. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I always send the whole bill to the PM, I would not listen to any advice from the local council unless it was an official threatening letter, or fine, or court order to pay ( or my place will be sold cheap to a PC member in a secret auction sent to a select few).

17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Hi Dabbler

What has the water bill got to do with Council?

18. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Many councils handle water too.

19. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Council seem to control the Water on the NSW Central Coast unlike in Sydney .

20. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

assuming you are a first time investor, unfortuantely, thats one of the semi hidden costs of owning an IP, yeah it sux, I agree, but you really have to suck it up,

one of my properties is $1300 per year in what I call them "water service" fees,

its like council rates, it sux, but you gotta pay for them