Seeking suggestions and interested to know member experience-buying furniture

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Never giveup, 16th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Hello All,

Need to buy lounge/sofa set and been to Super Anart, Freedom, Kings and few other similar ones in Sydney as around Auburn has main stores.

Will be checking out Harvey Normal this weekend.

Interested to find out if any reliable retailer OC members put theur trust in- as everyone offering similar warranties.

We aren't looking for any fancy recliners but must meet the required length and deoth measurements with good pricing.

Please share your preferance for Leather vs Fabric

We are aiming for leather!

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We’ve had Nick Scali leather with adjustable headrests and just swapped our TV room couch for the same brand, similar style two seater with electric controls for the reclining and for the headrests.

3. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Had both Nick Scali and Plush. NS seemed to be better quality.

4. Never giveup

Thank you huys, may put NS in the busit list this weekend then....

The way our living room is recliner with tall backs won't work hence looking for standard but comfortable unit.

5. wylie

I don't like the old fashioned style recliners. Many look huge and we have a small room where we watch TV. Our kitchen is to the right so we need to see over the top of any couch from the kitchen and the table behind.

This new one looks like a regular 2.5 seater until you recline it. The whole seat lays back, legs almost flat with the seat, or any level you like. I've put the back flat on one side. We use the kitchen table behind every day, so need a low couch so we can see the TV over it.

Our son bought one the same day (we went with him to look, and ended up buying one too). His is the same couch, in a natural tan colour, two seats like this (both recline with electric buttons) and a chaise on one end.

Hubby is about ten inches taller than me, and this works for us both.

IMG_2874.jpg

Never giveup and Gockie like this.
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

We just have two recliners. I'm not a fan of leather, as I find fabric more comfortable, and we never spend a lot of furniture as we have 5 cats, so if they make a mess, we don't worry if we have to replace.

7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Depends on your definition of good pricing. My definition was this - went for the tall rather than the classic.

Herman Miller Eames® Lounge Chair & Ottoman | Living Edge

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

LazyBoy or Nick Scali if you love leather and you dont have puppies or little kids.

Ikea or AMart if you will want to replace it whenever you get sick of the fabric or somebody has vomited all over it. We always bought second hand fabric lounges with young kids but our leather one has lasted very well.

Never giveup likes this.
  9. Diesel1990

Diesel1990 Active Member

I went with a koala couch. Cheap, cheerful and comfy. I'm not too worried about stains, free freight and quick turnaround times.

10. Never giveup

When I will be showering with ETF/LIC divis just like you @SatayKing perhaps then I can think about something like this but probably won't buy it ;)

11. Never giveup

Will check it out online 1st Nick Scali and HN be tomorrow (fingers crossed)

12. Never giveup

We haven't shortlisted recliners due to their huge size but will check it out as your seems alrite...

Our living room is good size but due to its style n open space lomg backs will make it look crowded...

We did like the one in freedom furniture but wamted to explore more before compromising...

We have black now but given the tv unit colout n other things we may go with tan leather but depends upon pricing...

13. wylie

I’d wait for a Nick Scali sale too.

14. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

imho herman miller eames is over rated but furniture are personal preference so milage will vary,

if you like recliners and budget is good, something like a stressless etc will do better,

lounge i have plush, no problem, i am a leather guy so i like it, but not all leather are created equal,

15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Or cats :p. We'd planned on replacing our furniture when the kids moved out. Still can't because of the cats. But we love our cats, so that's the price we pay.
    Yep, our current recliners we got from Fantastic Furniture. Very cheap, and easy to replace when we have to.

Angel likes this.
  16. Never giveup

On the website, it shows sale on for lounges ;)

17. wylie

We bought ours in the last sale. I think it was 40% off.

18. Never giveup

1st round few weeks ago to explored Kings living(northmead), Amart, Freedom, Fantastic, Koala Living, Enhance, Custom Sofa , Oz design at Auburn and shorlisted one item from Freedom that was close to what we are after but not 100%.

Thanks to this forum and the members today went to HN and NS at Auburn again.

Good news HN had the product that met our requirements and some more so bought it with Early Feb delivery.

Thank you everyone!

wylie likes this.
  19. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Not sure for Sydney but in Melbourne many HN items (and other suppliers) can be purchased brand new at the auction houses. Sometimes ex display in excellent condition but generally either brand new floor stock or otherwise brand new in the box.
    You pay the auction fee on top but our theatre room leather couches (3 & 2 seater) for approx $2200. New price & HN was about $8000. Unfortunately didn’t have the full set with the single electric recliner as well at the auction, so bought that new to match our requirements for additional $1750.

Again this is Melbourne and you have to watch weekly listing updates to keep an eye on offers but check out Caseyauctions.com.au.

No affiliation but some great deals.

Never giveup likes this.
  20. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

8 months ago we shopped for Recliner for our TV Room. Criteria is not bulky and leather. After a long search, ended-up with a 3-seater Recliner with OzDesign. The best part is it recline frontward, so the back stays as close to the wall as possible (Our TV Room is narrow and hence cant have too big a TV).
    As it happens, 3-seater is good as both of us can sit at one end, and have the middle reserve for snacks and blankets. And when I'm alone, I can lie flat across!

Then 2 month ago need a fabric sofa for our Formal. Tried not to get from OzDesign but guess what, it's them again after many searches!
    As it turns out, due to Covid we were hesitant to get any "imported" ones. OzDesign has some from Melbourne!

Must mention here that our 12-year old leather lounge was also from OzDesign, which is now sitting in our IP.

It's not true that we are 100% OD fan because we have our bedroom suite and other stuff from HN or Freedom.