Seeking sincere advice-property close to power lines, any tests available

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Never giveup, 27th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Just to confirm -do uou consider this near to electricity tower?

2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Anything more than 1klm is too close to my liking.

3. Never giveup

I am unable to find any concerete evidence on health issues. Could you please share some links-much appreciated

4. Never giveup

That is going to be a challenge to find in these areas

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

It's not the tower that is a potential problem but the wires.

7. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

I'll run away from this one... BIG NO NO.

Avoid at all cost if possible!!..

Cheers,

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

@Never giveup

Just to stop everyone getting confused:
    A transformer looks like this:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I think you are talking of transmission towers:

upload_2018-10-27_15-2-30.jpeg

As @Angel says, the tower is NOT the main problem - you (may) get EMF from the actual wires. The property on Yarrabbee rd is practically under the wires - which means the EMF can be very high compared to say 4 houses away (or even 1 house away like Meckiff)

Hope this makes sense.

The Y-man

Never giveup likes this.
  9. Never giveup

The orange/brown wall in the pic is the boundary wall.

Attached Files:

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Petition Ausgrid to underground the wires. Can't see 'em, no EMF. Right? :rolleyes:

The only conclusive evidence I've seen is the effect on price.

Never giveup likes this.
  11. Never giveup

Nailed it @Scott No Mates

I have been trolling to find a concerete evidence but nothing available.

Also Aus has australian standards which means everything has to meet the manadatory requirements and if it does create health issues why Aus Gov or any other authority has done anything ?

Asbestos is dangerous so they have guidelines , requirements etc but if power lines are dangerous then why not any changes.

I have seen a transmission tower next to child minding, patrol station, swimming pool and other properties on windsor rd.

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The link I posted above (post #25) is from the Australian Government and says:

‘...There has been a lot of research on whether exposure to ELF EMF from electrical sources below the exposure limits causes any health effects. Most of the research indicates that ELF EMF exposure normally encountered in the environment, including in the vicinity of powerlines, does not pose a risk to human health.

However, there are some epidemiological (population) studies that have reported a possible association between prolonged exposure to ELF magnetic fields at levels below the exposure limits but higher than what is typically encountered and increased rates of childhood leukaemia.

Based largely on this limited evidence the International Agency for Research on Cancer has classified ELF magnetic fields as possibly carcinogenic to humans...’

However, they conclude that ‘The scientific evidence does not establish that exposure to ELF EMF found around the home, the office or near powerlines and other electrical sources is a hazard to human health.’

Last edited: 27th Oct, 2018
    Milou likes this.
  13. Scott No Mates

I have a heightened awareness of ELFs considering it's around Halloween :eek:

[​IMG]

Joynz, datto and Angel like this.
  14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Look I'm a bit of of a skeptic about all this high voltage towers etc and the EMF affect on humans.

Sure, I hear there were Swedish studies which show a link to EMF and the health of an individual.

But I reckon those Swedes must have been watching too many blue movies whilst awaiting the results and stuffed the experiment up..... "Sven Larsson, can't you watch a video like a normal person without those electrodes attached to your nether regions?"

Anyway, the Mt Druitt area has a swathe of high voltage powerlines running through the guts of it. With all that EMF bombarding the residents' brains' you'd expect a dysfunctional suburb.

Hang on a sec lol.

15. Scott No Mates

It's a long term mandated experiment run by CSIRO. Cram a heap of Guinea pigs in a relatively (transport & socially) isolated area, bombard them with EMF and observe over several generations.

I think that there may be something in it.

(footnte: prior to this, STC/OTC had a massive satellite station on their Great Western Highway, near where Australias Wonderland was located - If that didn't churn microwaves nothing would).

Last edited: 27th Oct, 2018
    datto likes this.
  16. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

maybe

Like the logic that Sodium Fluoride added to water, in PPM has major ill effects , since when lab rats ingest straight Sodium Fluoride they dont do well.

Odd, how the residual chlorine in that same water isnt considered an issue in and of itself , because if one drinks 100 ml of sodium Hypochlorite, or sucking a few breaths of chlorine gas, that has some pretty quick effects.

Gotta be careful with this stuff though, its close to a religious discussion

ta
    rolf

Blueskies likes this.
  17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Sorry but that's way too close for comfort for me.

18. Never giveup

Cane across the following on other forums:

-These transformers are use to step down the voltage from High Voltage (like 11KV etc) to the voltage supplied to homes (415V / 240V).
    Their size and number depends on the demand in the area. If there are few homes then they will be few and smaller. In a high density area there will either be more pole mounted transformers or more likely ground mounted transformers particularly if it is predominantly an underground service area.

-Numerous studies have produced contradictory results, yet some experts are convinced that the threat is real.

These transformers like the power lines you see in most streets emit electromagnetic fields (EMF)

The potential effects of electromagnetic fields on human health vary widely depending on the frequency and intensity of the fields.

EMFs near a transformer can be quite high, but due to their small structure, the field strength diminishes rapidly with distance, as it does from any point source. For this reason, having a transformer located near your home is usually not a major source of concern.

-The phone charger that sits 20cm from your head while you sleep would do more damage than that transformer sitting 10m outside your loungeroom.

That is to say it will do nothing.

-They're harmful to you in the same way as TV broadcast signals are harmful.

Don't spend more than a few seconds worrying about it.

19. Never giveup

Fyi:I have also emailed Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) - let's see.

20. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Assuming you aren't concerned about long term value, resale, disruption due to line maintenance, or the risk of the transmission company installing more/bigger towers in the future to carry more load, the EMF would be the least of my worries.

Bugger all real science that there are health risks from HV power lines. My wife works for a HV transmission company. She brought an EMF meter home one day and we had a play with it. Directly under HV lines were about 20mG. Walk 100 meters away to end of easement where building is permitted and no detectable difference to ambient levels.

Then go inside and play around. Steady high mG levels above what you get directly under HV lines all over the place. Lighting, appliances, LV house wiring. TV beaming 20+mG in your face each night, Fluro lamps - 200 mG, microwave - 200mG, hairdryer - 500mG!

If EMF causes cancer we are all screwed. Only solution is to go off grid completely, live in a mud hut somewhere.

Never giveup likes this.