Seeking design advice for PPOR

Discussion in 'Development' started by Rockstar, 10th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Archicad is great where you can do a virtual walk through, watch how the sun sets and shade falls etc

I had a walk through of it with an architect , unfortunately Dale Alcock in WA couldn't/wouldn't do this for us on our PPOR

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Crikey! Looks pretty cool.
    Have you called the people at Grand Designs yet?

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The roof is giving me a few canniptions :)
    I'm wondering weather an automated louvre roof over the deck at transome height might work better? I'm think that because you have very large over hangs on the Northern side and I don't know how much light will be able to get inside in winter. If you had louvres that could move then you could open them up to let light in and have them closed when it's sunny or raining.
    Stratco now do a version of it Outback® Sunroof | Stratco

I'm currently having HUGE problems working out window coverings for the large windows I wanted. I really really wanted lots of light in the PPOR but now it seems I've created a monster of my own making. I have some stacking sliding doors which are 3 moving, 1 fixed which is about 5m wide.

So do consider what type of window coverings you like and how those beautfiul windows will be used. I like plantation shutters but you can't use them with bifold doors unless you have the track done a certain way. If you put plantation shutters on a 5m wide stacking door like mine you can also make them stacking but then they need to stack as well and 4 shutters will then make a 200mm deep stack of doors when all open. Or I could make the shutters bifold and stack them up that way.

I think you mentioned solar panels and having the roof slope sideways. I was reading somewhere that this isn't such an issue as much as people think and your slope is less than 10 degrees it looks like so it's not too bad. I think it was this article
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...k=024e83175336fec4e3c2d063be815868-1473591899

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Any architect worth his/her salt will have done the calculations to maximise winter sunlight through correct eaves width. But worth checking, to be sure.

I saw a great house a while ago where they had curtains that went into a pocket in the wall, so they disappeared during the day. Could also have blinds.

Today I saw a new build with dark roller blinds that appeared to meld into the dark window frames - not even noticeable.

5. Rockstar

Rockstar Well-Known Member

Hi Red, yes our designer uses archicad so we can utilise this facility. They also use sketch up initially as a quicker and easier way to get a 3D gist of the interior and exterior space prior to moving into the more complex and time consuming program.

6. Rockstar

Thanks Tig, you're a wealth of information. The auto louvers have been discussed as an option so we will revisit this with arch's. Interesting article re solar panels.
    Yes, glass from floor to ceiling does require much consideration re window coverings and we need to think it through carefully.
    Many thanks, (-:

7. Redwing

Some friends have the glass stacking sliding doors with internal blinds, a little slider on the side adjusts the blinds angle; I thought it was a great idea

8. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Have you made a decision on bifold vs sliding glass doors? Because if you are up on a hill you might find that at night you are a beacon for bugs, and screens might come in handy...? In which case bifolds might be more problematic.

This is somewhat similar design to a house I know which I'm modelling my "dream future PPOR" off. I'm sure you will love living in it! Can't wait to see it come together (please post pics!).

9. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I discovered these exist a few months ago - Freedom Infinity Zipline Gallery - Freedom Retractable Screens

I reckon it's a great idea for the non-traditional screen 'doors'.

hobo likes this.
  10. Westminster

But not good if you have dogs who will scratch at them and run through them :)rolleyes:sigh!). We've had to install security mesh for our insect control so that the dog doesn't kill it.

Talking of phwoar doors there are some beautiful ones which slide into a cavity - just like internal cavity sliders but for external glass doors

[​IMG]

Redwing likes this.
  11. Westminster

Oh and @Rockstar put a double sided fireplace from the living to the deck.
    One of my great skills is spending other people's money :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Redwing, Sackie and radson like this.
  12. Rockstar

Any pics Red?

13. Rockstar

Not yet Hobo but leaning toward sliding glass due to ability to regulate opening size and easier screening. We are facing north and will get a fair bit of NE sea breezes in summer which can be quite strong at times. Therefore would be good to control the opening size to regulate breezes through the house.
    I will think about pics and a development thread - especially if there is interest from you guys. There are quite a few good stories to tell about the acquisition of these two sites. It has been a controversial subdivision which has dragged out for many years - a long drawn out saga of which I was not involved in but have heard lots about.

Redwing and hobo like this.
  14. Rockstar

Spend away Tig but the fireplace is out of the question. Wouldn't want to block the view + we don't have much winter! Here is a screen shot of internal views looking out from the entry way area. It shows that interesting and expensive looking roofline angle. It's actually growing on me - quite a feature. :)
    Keep the suggestions flowing. Glad you only have dogs scratching the doors and not a pet tiger or two!:eek:
    Unfortunately we don't have any cavities for those neat sliders to glide into.
    Untitled.png

15. Redwing

Here's some examples, I thought it was a great idea and easy to keep clean

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another link

Rockstar likes this.
  16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

They are pretty awesome.
    Have seen some similar things on that Million Dollar Rooms show.

17. Westminster

18. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

I have seen these at the new Midland Hospital (WA). Do these break easy because i thought i nearly broke it when i was playing with them in Hospital as they didnt shut out the light 100% i was not sure how much they move and nearly forced it too far.

19. Rockstar

Yes, we are fortunate to have this land. Golf course and hinterland is very picturesque too. DSCF5247.JPG DSCF5245.JPG

Sackie likes this.
  20. Rockstar

Thanks Red, I have seen similar to this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia