Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Seeking design advice for PPOR

Discussion in 'Development' started by Rockstar, 10th Sep, 2016.

1. Rockstar

Rockstar Well-Known Member

Hi Friends, Just thought I would show a few pics of my early concepts for upcoming ppor. My architect always tries to push the design boundaries and this roof is no exception. We are happy with the floor plans but the external shape and roof is a worry. Any feedback appreciated.
    BTW the mainly uninterrupted golf course, ocean and mountain views and aspect are northeast to west-north-west. Slope is north.

1 Upper Floor Plan.JPG

2 Lower floor Plan.JPG

North Elevation.JPG

Roof Concept.JPG

Thanks, RS

SRE, MTR and Player like this.
  2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If the rear living area is north facing, then it is a good design. Looks like good eaves for shading in summer, if it is north to the rear. Also few (none?) windows to the west - which is great.

Has the architect stuck to your budget?

Not sure why you are worried about the roof - it doesn't look that out of the ordinary these days.

Though it looks like there'll be a box gutter at the meeting of the two small roofs and they can be problematic if not designed carefully.

Do you have enough storage in the house? I can't see many cupboards for linen, camping gear, hobby gear etc

vbplease likes this.
  3. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of box gutters. I think they should be avoided especially in high intensity rainfall areas..
    I regularly inspect storm damaged homes and it's funny how the damage occurs to new architecturally designed homes, while the neighbour with a conventional roof doesn't have any damage.

Rockstar and Joynz like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member Premium Member

love the elevation/facade

5. Rockstar

Thanks Joynz,

Yes storage need to be looked at. Even though we have very few possessions it is handy for onselling.
    The two small roofs run into a valley that will drain into a rainhead. On the plan this point looks quite low in height which is an architectural drafting error that will be fixed. It is actually around 2.4m high where the valley drains into the rainhead.
    I was concerned about the cost of the roof structure and whether it could be simplified. The other concern was the roof mainly slopes back to the south - not good for mounting solar panels.

You are correct - north to the rear - no western windows.

Budget wise - we haven't really set one. This would be owner built so costs could probably be kept below 400k with quality fixtures and fittings. We have plenty of experience in project managing our development constructions but these are usually entry to medium level specs and designs.

6. Rockstar

I agree mate but as mentioned above - it is a valley rather than a box gutter. It just needs to be amended to be higher up the wall by 300mm or so.

Valley fold.JPG

7. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

Look like an office building or very executive home.

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What was your brief to the architect?

9. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Glass balaustrade on the upper deck so views aren't blocked?

10. Player

Player Well-Known Member

@Rockstar

I like the roof lines Rocky. As @Joynz mentioned more storage would be an idea. I understand this is just a schematic however I'm assuming a WIR to the master will be included.

As you mention resale, is there a reason this can't be a four bedroom house and purposing the extra bedroom for some other use?. Is there a need in your area for a bedroom downstairs for example? Also a living space upstairs such as a retreat or multi-purpose space might be handy.

I know this is your PPOR and the space will be excessive, however just thinking about resale and capturing a wider family demographic in the future. This is a standalone home not one of your town house or duplex projects so having a larger audience to exit to might give you a better capital gain when the time comes to sell and move on so maybe weigh up a 4 BR versus 3 BR construction.

Hope you are well down there with Mrs Rockstar in your little patch of paradise.

MTR likes this.
  11. Rockstar

Yes, already firmed up mate. Just not shown yet on sketches. Thanks.

12. Rockstar

Nice to hear the feedback mate. Hope you and the family are very well too.
    Always more to the story than covered in the initial post.
    Master bed has that walk around robe behind the bed head. Rectangle (on sketch plan) behind bed head is a semi enclosed wall to hide the robe area.
    More storage will be added into the next stage as a priority. There is space downstairs to cut into the hill further adjacent to stairwell. Also the main bathroom will move to the laundry position in order to have natural ventilation. Laundry can utilise storage options. Plenty of room in back yard for shed or even granny flat/studio.

Also, we have actually gained approval to subdivide this block and will be building another house & GF or duplex below which the PPOR will look over due to 1:5 slope. The upper smaller lot shown above is the PPOR (around 600sqm) and the shape is lending itself to a smaller home which suits our needs. The lower lot needed to be min 800sqm to permit a duplex development.
    As you may know, our area is highly popular with downsizer's, seperated/divorced folk who have money to purchase location and views but don't require a 4 bed home. Our brief included the 3 bed + a study with nice view for obvious reasons. As you mention, we don't want a large house now there are only two of us.

This purchase has been a financial blessing and I will share the amazing story with you one day. We have acquired another lot in this cul-de-sac where we will be building another duplex. Our rough plans (if we can afford it) will be to owner build the PPOR, move in, and then build the other 4 homes around us - all walk to work!! Never a dull moment.;)

All the best, Rocksta

chindonly, Westminster and Player like this.
  13. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

Not a great fan of glass balustrades. We have got them in our current apartment

They take a lot of cleaning and it's either leaning over the edge, which doesn't feel very safe, or off a ladder. I would tend to go for those tensioned SS wire barriers myself.

Also have you thought about window covering . . . . even with double glazing it will feel cold near those big windows unless you have substantial curtains.

14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I love a split level hillside home like that.
    Looks like a walk though robe behind the masted bed - love it!

15. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Ahh! Yes, knowing you I should have realised there was going more to the story of the land than a straight out PPOR. :D We are well Mr. Rockstar. We should aim to catch up at some stage. I'll try and get down to you in the next couple of months.

Excellent mate. You know your demographics and demand there. Perhaps you can keep all you new builds there in the cul-de-sac........... not far to walk to collect the rent. :)

16. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The Village of Rockstar - love it!

17. Rockstar

Hey, now you're reading my mind Neo!:cool:

Give us some notice before you come down so we can prepare for the feast.:D

18. Rockstar

Thanks Tigress. Any thoughts on the exterior and roof? One reason we are keeping it low profile at the front is because our other block of land (front house) will be able to see over the top of our ppor roof to the coastline beyond. We did have a deluxe model of the ppor with a 60sqm Master bedroom and office on top of the garage/entry way making it over 3 levels with more stunning views from upper storey but it would have blocked out the great views for the other Lot. Also would've got lost in such a house and spent time cleaning it or paying for a cleaner!
    All the best, :)

19. Rockstar

Good point Bashy though SS wires need a solid top rail which is usually at eye level where it breaks the view line. We are in a warm climate with good elevation above sea level so winter cold is not an issue for us though, still, will focus on energy efficiency measures.

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member Premium Member

wow, this has to be your dream home:)