Seeking advice on approach, 12/88 and LMI

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by palindrome, 17th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. palindrome

palindrome Member

We’re 50, PPOR worth about 600k paid off (about 250k sitting in the offset), 450k super, earning 120k/95k.

We want to continue to salary sacrifice into super to the concessional cap which hopefully will lead to about $1m in super by 60/early 60s. That’s mostly exposed to AU/Int’l shares.

Outside that, we can easily spare $1200/w without dropping our current lifestyle and we’re looking at building a smallish IP portfolio with a 10-year minimum view to capital growth.

We’ve had a preliminary discussion with a broker (member here) who has been very helpful. Suggested model is to exit current mortgage, get PPOR valued, get finance to 80% and use that for deposits, leaving a comfort buffer. We aren’t looking to build a massive portfolio (thinking 3 IP @ 400k each but its flexible and we’d like the option to go more). The rough aim is to have $1m super and $1m property at retirement.

I’m after advice to hone our thinking and get some ideas how best to structure things if I may.

I’m leading with the assumption that low cost/cost neutral is where we want to be within a reasonable timeframe.

Given our intended total exposure, but the desire to remain flexible in our plan, should we 12/88 and pay LMI or 20/80? I know LMI isn’t a huge cost but I’m also conscious we’re likely to use a buyers agent for the first property at least as we will probably be going into markets we don’t know and we’ve done the analysis paralysis for long enough – so I’m keen to consider what costs are really necessary. We can continue our own research in parallel and hopefully be better positioned/market educated for IP 2 and 3 but we’re happy to pay now for expertise.

Related to that, am I right in this - We take the equity from PPOR for deposits. We pay interest on that and its not tax deductible (but other acquisition costs can be rolled into the IP mortgage), so with that in mind going 12/88 make more sense (I’d get tax advice of course – just looking for a steer on my thinking).

Any thoughts on doing properties in separate names – would get professional advice based on circumstances, but wondering if there are any initial thoughts on that.

Any feedback welcome.

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

If you have enough equity in your home to get you where you want to go, definitely use 20% deposits. There's no point paying lmi if it can be avoided.

The interest you pay on your PPOR equity will be deductible if you're buying IP's.

The bigger decision for you will be whether to pay P&I or IO - do you want cash neutral based on P&I payments? If paying IO you'll want to be sure that your borrowings remain low enough to allow you to refinance when the IO period expires. What's the plan for the properties at retirement?

3. palindrome

palindrome Member

Thanks Jess. More food for thought. At this stage, the plan for the properties on retirement is to sell assuming favourable market conditions.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  4. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Perhaps keep each split for each IP deposit separate so you can track it's interest separately, hopefully you have your broker advising this as setting up the loan structure properly at the beginning will save you a lot of headaches down the track.

Have you got yourself an accountant that is savvy with investment properties?

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

As a generality looking at 3 iPs and 480 cash deposit and more buffers I'd not consider lmi. Unless there was a specific plan that needed to be executed

Ta

Rolf

6. palindrome

palindrome Member

He tells me he has lots of experience with them but I really dont know how he stacks up. I'll sense check any assumptions/conclusions before proceeding.

I'm happy to hear other views, but I was thinking P+I and get cash neutral (or low out of pocket) asap is the best way to go. A loss is a loss. I would get the accountant to run the numbers on a likely scenario and timeframe to get to an acceptable cashflow position and what that looks like will dictate the staging of buying, keeping in mind we dont want to be delaying too long given our age/timeframes.

Does this make sense or should I be looking at things from a different perspective, or factoring in other vital points?

7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Get some tax advice.

If you borrow to invest the interest can be deductible even if the security is your main residence.

Paying LMi would be a waste of money in your situation I think.

8. Rolf Latham

[QUOTE="palindrome, post: 469499, member: 12006"
    I'm happy to hear other views, but I was thinking P+I and get cash neutral (or low out of pocket) asap is the best way to go.
    \[/QUOTE]

Id expect that will very much limit the stock that you can buy.

ta
    rolf

9. palindrome

palindrome Member

Can you tease that out for me please? Do you mean that trying to get cash neutral quickly means you'd be unable to service another IP in the meantime?

10. Rolf Latham

420 loan

4 % PI rate = 24 000 per annum repayment

2500 rates
    2500 other bits and bobs

29 000 pa

560 a week rent on 400 buy

doable

just not common

ta
    rolf

11. palindrome

palindrome Member

Ah, I see what you're saying. I'm factoring in that we have an additional $1200/w min free to bung into the offset. So I'm keen to run the numbers on how soon we can get things to cashflow neutral if we're hammering additional to the offset. Does that make sense?

Terry_w likes this.
  12. Rolf Latham

it does make sense

how much gross rent do u think this IP will make ?

ta
    rolf

13. palindrome

palindrome Member

I'd be making a figure up as we dont have a market in mind yet, but for rough sums I'd likely mess about with 375/w on a 400k house.

14. Rolf Latham

thats fine so say

18 000 rent after management
    say 4000 in all other holding etc costs

14 000 net income, ignoring any tax benefits

29 000 PA in PI loan

the Principal component of the loan would be approx 14 000

So for a neutral outcome youd need 420 000 in the offset......... wow

Note also, that with most PI loans the repayment remains the same regardless of the amount in the offset, but the principal reduces more quickly. with many lenders you can get th repayment recalculated after the Principal reduces

ta

rolf

15. palindrome

palindrome Member

I see what youre saying (and I thank you for your patience).

So, rough math
    $400k P+I @ 5% = $1000f/n

Rent $375/w less costs = $14000 net pa = $538f/n

Shortfall = $462f/n or $231/w.

That’s easily affordable to us, so lets say we do that and for easy math say with tax breaks taken into account it costs us $200p/w or $10k per year to hold.

Is the thinking then that you buy right, wear the cost (and opportunity cost), wait for the cycle (say 10yrs) and voila, that property which has cost you $100k over the 10 years is worth say $650k. So maybe you decide to sell, pay out the remaining mortgage/CGT and walk away with the balance.

If that’s ok thinking then for our current plan i.e. likely sell in retirement assuming favourable markets, rather than trying to live off cashflow, then assuming you can afford to service the mortgage and ride out rate rises/vacancy etc, aiming for CF+ or neutral is a ‘nice to have but not necessary’ and you'd be better off doing 2 or 3 IPs under the approx $200/out of pocket structure?

16. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Do the sums again with IO payments of about 5.5% - or higher if you want to add a buffer for increasing rates.

Give the 10 yr time frame, use of 20% deposits and the plan to sell at the end, it may pay to think about using IO and invest the difference into something else to increase the asset base in retirement instead of paying off the loans. If you were going to hold for cashflow, reducing the principle is useful, but if you're selling anyways and have a focus on growth rather than long term cash, you can get a head start on other income producing assets in the meantime, or sacrifice into super or similar.

Kevvy7, Archaon and palindrome like this.
  17. palindrome

palindrome Member

Yep, makes sense. Thanks.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia