Seeking a website designer

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Lizzie, 30th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Hey all - I've had a business idea floating around for 10+ years and it's still viable, so thinking perhaps time to act.

The issue I hit 10 years ago was the quoted cost to build the website - which left me head scratching at why it could be so expensive. However, I'm not a web designer so perhaps I was being to simplistic in my assumptions.

Basically I'm looking at a site with a welcome page - info/contact page - a drop down box page - and, after the drop down boxes are filled (with a buy/sell/wanted first option). It's a wholesale commercial page, so doesn't need to be flash and glossy - but would need to look professional.

The supplier would select sell then fill in their details (possibly photo attachment available but not essential) - the buyer would then fill in their details and be put in contact with any matching sellers. Income would be a set fee charged to suppliers per listing

Not it's not a dating site. If I say it's something like "carsales" but a lot more simplistic and for a different product. Probably more like Australia's Premium site for advertising cattle | Cattlesales (but even more simple as wouldn't need all the "sell" package options)

There would be no money transfer involved (other than the fee), no shipping, no negotiation done personally.

I would prefer to have a local designer, rather than overseas, while in the initial stages - as it is a system that could go worldwide

2. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Lizzie likes this.
  3. justlearning

justlearning Member

You might not need to build a full website. Consider reading 'The Lean Startup' which talks about how to test business ideas quickly and cheaply. If you can demonstrate your idea is worthwhile (solves a problem and has a market) you can then seek funding from investors/accelerator programs.

charttv and Lizzie like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'll have to check my next industry magazine - it usually has an advert for some mob who have cheap website builds (about $700) - probably lacks some functionality like secure payment interface but who wants that? Not everyone needs payment systems online or use external facilities eg PayPal.

Edit: @Lizzie - Try this mob Linky

My discount code has expired but should get a new one soon.

Last edited: 30th Oct, 2021
    Lizzie likes this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It's also possible (depending on your needs) that there is a template or package available for what you need. You would still need a web designer, but they may be able to build something based on an existing design skeleton. It may be worthwhile to try something along this path before talking with a developer. Straight sales websites, for instance, have a number of different products which can be used to provide the basis for a website; hosting companies have a lot of different templates.

6. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    For something so basic I would look at exploring template options too

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... this coming from an IT guy to someone who wouldn't know a website template if it bashed them around the head ;)

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Ok, translation.

A web person doesn't have to build something from scratch, which would be very expensive.

There are things out there which they can use which makes a much simpler job for them.

Don't them them tell you it's a huge job, and very expensive, because they have to build everything.

Speak to several of them.

And just like mechanics - the less you know, the more wool they can pull over your eyes.

skater, wylie, Redwing and 1 other person like this.
  9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Many places will even build basic web functionality for little cost...in exchange for them hosting eg Go Daddy. You really need to plan with a expert exactly what is needed. Will it be ecommerce? Customer "accounts" and order and fulfillment issues ? What aps may it link with (eg merchant services, paypal, afterpay even!!), will it include contact forms or support, do you need maps or other location services, cookies ? Pricing for delivery and other factors ? Templates assist (eg wordpress) as they allow each device to suit a website and standardise many features. It will size and scale differently on a desktop v a phone etc. All the bits bolt on and can assist or hinder the site.

Warning be wary of offshore developers who are cheap but communcation can be a issue. Then watch for google adword scams. A local web developer should be able to show you loads of ideas. Make sure any images are licensed as you dont want getty images lawyers sending letters

Lizzie likes this.
  10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

... and be aware that they really do send letters!

Stock image services make their money from licensing their content - and they police their rights vigorously. Don't get caught out by using inappropriately licensed content.

Lizzie likes this.
  11. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

To be clear - you are NOT looking for a website designer. You are looking for a web application developer.

What you are building is a not a boiler-plate website which could be built for minimal cost using a templating service as described by other people.

The custom functionality you are looking for is complex to build and will cost you quite a bit of money. You can probably find someone off shore to do it for you for reasonable cost - but make sure you fully understand exactly what your own requriements are and don't go in with a vague understanding of exactly how the site will work.

Cheap devs will build what you ask them for - nothing more. Quite likely you will end up with something which doesn't achieve what you need, unless you can fully document the entire function of the site.

If you don't understand all the functionality you require - you'll need to find an experienced development house who can do a consultation process to flesh out the details and fully scope the work required before they begin. Starting without a full design specification and fixed price quote is going to see costs blow out significantly - I can guarantee it.

Subscription based sites are a lot more complex than online stores selling products.

There is a lot of moving parts to what you're trying to achieve than you might realise.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from going ahead - just making sure you have realistic expectations about what it is you are building and what kind of skill you will required.

Someone building WordPress websites for next to no money is not going to have the skill to build this application for you.

Lizzie likes this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Agreed - not being an IT orientated person - that I can understand how I want it to function from the user interface, but not how to actually create it behind the scenes.

What I'm after is not complicated from the customer's side - with an attached eCommerce for paying the fee for a sales listing (such are Carsales), as I'd not be actually transacting agreements between parties - probably also want an alerts subscription function, so someone can register what they are after and be alerted if it's listed by a seller ... okay ... getting more complicated on the creation side by the minute.

That's why I wanted to talk to someone local as suspect a $1,000 off the shelf jobbie won't cut it, even with plugins.

I have a few that I might contact - but still tossing up whether to take it on myself, or pass the idea onto someone else who will run with it ... the feedback I've done so far, of those in the product industry (not the website industry) that it is a platform they'd use, but I'll never really know if it has widescale appeal unless the platform is active.

I guess could follow the principle # 2 and build a bare minimum ... doesn't need to be flashy as isn't for general consumers.

Last edited: 6th Nov, 2021
    Simon Hampel likes this.
  13. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Have a look on Fiverr , I've had a few sites done from ppl overseas with good results

Lizzie likes this.
  14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

pm'd you.

The Y-man

Lizzie likes this.
  15. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Not sure if you ever heard of Wordpress but it seems like it can work well for you and can be pretty simple to setup. Lots of off the shelf plugins too that might be used for a proof of concept and it's a free very well established CMS(Content management system) ...

Lots of great advice above and i'll reiterate the know what you want part. As in have some solid requirements written down and make sure the developers know what you are after. Good luck with it all

Lizzie likes this.