seeing your ex with someone else? awkward

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TMNT, 15th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Do you feel awkward seeing your ex with someone else?

1. Yes, always to a certain degree

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No, history is history

14 vote(s)
    51.9%
  3. Depends on the situation

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

awkward or not?

Ignore those that have ex partners and have to catch up with them regularly for whatver reason, and assume seeing them for the first time in a while or by chance

for the record, no matter whether we split up mutually or amicably or whatever, if I see my ex (even from high school) with someone else, I feel awkward . and this goes to whether I hate them, still have feelings for them or are indifferent about them

edit: when I was in my 20s, I bumped into my ex of high school, she cheated on me and then dumped me, I hadnt seen or heard from her in maybe 10 years, we bumped into eachother in a nightclub, obviously we had both changed, and we werent even sure if it was eachtoher!!!! but damn it was awkward, we just looked at eachother, werent even sure it was eachtoher and walked off

Last edited: 15th Jun, 2016
  2. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I think it's about self confidence.
    I bump into exs quite regularly. Some are still friends. Even when the break up was messy I'm always civil to them.

The past is the past. People Change. Move on, get over it.

Even now that I'm married if I bump into an ex, I always tell Mrs Blacky that it's an ex I'm chatting to. No point in lying about it. She knows I wasn't a virgin when we met, and I'm still not one now (though am working towards it).
    She's fine with it. I even work with one of her ex's.

Blacky

mcarthur likes this.
  3. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

I simply left the country after the break up (19 years ago...). Then you never bump into them again..theoretically.. still happened though when I went back for a holiday, doh ! Prefer not to know anything, even now.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Ah this topic reminds me of a sonnet from one of my favorite poets:
    blink-182 dammit - Google Search

But seriously i don't have many ex's but do occasionally bump into ex clients who still request my services. It is awkward but those days are done and I'm now disease free once again

Brian84 likes this.
  5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Wait till you get too 60 and you start going to the few that are left 60th birthday parties ,because some of my mates married other mates girlfriends,gets interesting then..

6. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Your Ex seeing you happy with someone else.

Priceless.

JenW and willair like this.
  7. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I've bumped into a few ex's over the years.

Bumped into the most significant ex the day after I got engaged (I already knew she was with someone else). We had a coffee, chatted for an hour, it turned into a nice moment. I haven't seen her since, that was 20 years ago.

Working in IT, the guy sitting next to me starts talking about his new girlfriend. Turns out I dated her in high school. She came by the office for lunch a few times (with kids). We've spoken a few times since. Nice to catch up but that's all.

In each case there's a reason we broke up. I've never hated an ex, we've simply acknowledged that it wasn't working or what we wanted any more. I think it's somewhat hypocritical to claim to be in love with someone then a few years later claim to hate them. People don't change and if you end up completely hating an ex then you clearly weren't being objective at some point during the relationship. That's on you as much as them.

My wife knows all of this. She's caught up with an ex or two. I've met a couple of them and I'm not threatened by them at all. She does hate some of her ex's but also says that she herself wasn't in the right frame of mind when she dated them.

I wish all of my ex's well and hope they're happy in their relationships. I know I am.

Last edited: 16th Jun, 2016
  8. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I don't get jealous when I see an ex with someone else because my parents taught me to give my unwanted toys to the less fortunate. Although I don't think that's what they were talking about :D:D:D

9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I couldnt think of anything more awkward for me and for my friend if my mate married/hooked up with a current or past gf!!!

for me personally, if a girl has been out with my friend, she is out of bounds for me, wayyyyy too awkward for me

10. Zod

Zod Member

Sometimes it is good when the ex has moved on as it means you have an excuse to look forward and not back.

Peter_Tersteeg likes this.